R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwall studs??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wall studs??
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm
I am raising the bed in our new 180 model about 5". I'd like to know where the wall studs are so I can tie the new frame I'm building into at least one or two studs on each sidewall. 

The factory isn't making that information available (Bad policy in my opinion as a customer). 

Does anyone have any ideas on helping find the studs in the wall? 

The pictures of fabrication of RPod on the internet don't show the 180 and I assume that wall is probably somewhat unique. 

When done the water heater and water pump will be much more accessible without having to take the mattress out, and it will provide a much better place for the dogs to stay.

Any help is appreciated. 
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
Pods don't have studs persay, they have aluminum framing. Best is with a metal stud finder. Lowes and Home depot have adequate ones.

I would note where bed is attached now and try going straight up from that. First try.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 5:46pm
Just so you know, the studs are not designed to carry much weight. You will note your current bed is carried entirely by the floor, and only secured to the wall to hold it in place. The entire interior is in place on the floor before the walls are installed. I would build my framework straight up from the existing, or build a new taller frame.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm
+1, like we used to do in the old vans, build a frame.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:54pm
Love those old vans!!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm

Elkcamp,
I've been all over this one on my 180. The 180 model lends itself to so many mods!
To find studs I use a high quality stud finder, or on any cold morning and you will see them in the condensation on the outside (on the shady side)
 Be aware that the aluminum studs are only 1/16" thick and you will need an anchor of some type to get real grip. But you really don't need to attach to the studs just use blocks to tie the 2 frames together, The plywood on top keeps things tight. I used small 1" L brackets to attach the frame together. 
In the 180 bed area there is a stud 4" forward of the front windows on either side. 
And one lined up with the back of the window.
You can see in this picture after the plywood is off where they screw the cleats to the walls But they didn't line them up with the vertical studs, there may be horizontal studs where they screwed it to the walls.
If you are raising the mattress like this.You can see I used blocks to tie the old frame to the new frame, under the window.  ( The plywood below was removed after I discovered it wasn't needed ).
To See my post on the project, follow the links in my  All my 180 mods post,  2nd mod down page 1. Plus there are more pictures of the under bed framing in the links to the twin bed mod.
 This project was to add drawers under the mattress.(Not enough storage in the 180)
But now it looks like this.

Congrats on the new 180! these things are a blast.
Cheers, John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 12:18pm
When I raised the bed on our 172, I left the 1x2 supports along the wall from the old bed in place and ran 3 vertical supports up to the new bed supports that I put along the walls above.  It was more than adequate to carry the weight.  I also ran a solid piece of pine along the front with a width equal to the additional height of the bed.  On the front wall I also left the original bed support in place and ran little "legs" up to the new support that I screwed onto the wall.  I also had to extend the support for the bed base where it's hinged as the raising of the bed made it wider, using the same concept of little legs from the new base to the old one.  

It's been more than sturdy enough and the wider bed is a more comfortable for me and my wife.  It's almost as wide as a standard double bed.  And the additional storage below is a plus.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply