R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDang, my jack didn't work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dang, my jack didn't work
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:52pm
Hello.

A while ago, I bought a 2 ton trolley jack, figuring I would be ready if I ever needed to jack up our 171.

Well, I needed it and I couldn't jack the trailer up. I believe the handle is just too short, the garage tow vehicle's jack handle was much longer.

Any comments on the minimal length needed for a jack handle are appreciated.

A side-issue is - Is a trolley jack the best type for jacking up an r-pod? I'm beginning to think it's not because it moves as it rises, necessitating a board on most soft surfaces.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 1:02pm
The lift of the jack has nothing to do with handle length. A longer handle will assist with raising the jack, if you can't get enough leverage on it. I use a trolley jack to lift my Pod, the only way I can see it wouldn't is if the jack didn't extend high enough. If you want a cheap handle extension, use a piece of pipe.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:23pm
Thanks for your response.
Partly I posted this for my further knowledge re jacks, partly so that others could learn from my experience. 

I was surprised that the 'stock'handle was inadequate. ??why put it in the box if it's not big enough for when you need it?? That's Crazy!!

I know a length of pipe would solve the problem, but has anyone already established the minimal length for a jack or do I go out with a hacksaw for 'trial and error'? 

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Happy,

All I can say is the handles with my jack(s)work. You can buy precut lengths of pipe, just need to figure out what you need. Got to be a leverage issue. I use pipe all the time if I can't get the leverage I need but bottom line is lift has nothing to do with jack handle. Once you have jack positioned see what it would take to get the handle where it works for you. Good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:59pm
I don't understand.  What do you mean the handle is too short?  Of course I don't know which jack you have.  I have a cheap little floor jack from Walmart that probably has a 10" handle.  It easily lifts the Pod with no extension.  It seems like there must be something missing from this story.

Is yours a hydraulic jack?  What is the indication that the handle is too short?  I assume that means you can't pump the handle hard enough to raise the jack.   Does the jack work with no load?  Is the valve closed securely?  The jacks I've used would push the jack into the ground if the Pod didn't rise.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:13pm
 Is this similar to the jack you have?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:32am
Thanks for your interest.

Delayed by bad weather, hard to get out to the trailer.

Yep, that's it. I tried to jack up on a 'hard' gravel surface, I suspect part of my difficulty is that I should have put down a board, first(?). 

The directions on the jack container are minimal.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:54am
Unless the jack is defective, or you didn't have the pressure valve fully closed, There is no reason for that jack to not lift a pod. I use one very much like that, on gravel, to lift my trucks for tire rotations etc. While a longer handle does give more leverage, it isn't needed.

That said, for lifting the pod, I used a bottle jack. The same one I still carry for the new trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply