R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed15' tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15' tires
    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:39pm
mcarter, did you also replace the spare?  I'm tempted to buy a couple of the Carlisles but am inclined to take my chances on the spare.  It'll only be used to get to a repair shop to fix the tire or until I can buy a replacement if it can't be repaired.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:43pm
I did not, guess I look at the spare as a temp fix. End of the day wheels don't match and I would have to replace tire on custom wheel as necessary.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jglynn55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:30pm
I bought the Carlisle 14" D rated tires from Walmart online.  If I went with the 15", I would have had to figure out the correct TV hitch height, plus buy new rims.  I don't know what I don't know about the 15" but the 14" D 65 pound tires are fantastic.  I purchased the $10 Walmart tire guarantee  so if I have an issue, I can always find a Walmart store.  The next rally I go to, I will see who has the 15" and ask if I can test drive their rig and they can test mine so we can compare.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:46pm
You're fine, a 1/2 inch is what you're talking about. Wise choice in D rated.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Lori View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
We are just purchasing a 2011 Rpod 182 . The dealer replaced the tires with new R14 class C tires....we have heard that D is much better and also 15 inch better still. Does anyone know if we can change these tires out for 15D tires? New to camping world!! 
Lori Norris
RPOD 182G 2018
jglynn55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:58pm
hurry and replace the c class tires.  It is still hard to believe the fantastic difference the d class is to the ride.  Don't know if they would give you 15".  Don't forget the spare.  I am close to the limit in hauling capacity so it made a big difference with me.  
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:05pm
Not all "Class C" tires are the same. It depends on the tire diameter (14", 15", 16"), and the cross section.

On our so-called 15" class C tires, the weight rating stamped into the tire is 2350 lbs. That will accommodate up to a 4700 lb trailer (single axle), which is in the same range as a 14" class D.

So check the weight rating on your tire(s). Take the gross weight of your trailer (3800 lbs in our case), and add 10 or 15 percent. For us that would be ~~ 4370 lbs. Since our class C tires are rated for 4700 lbs, we are probably just fine.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Lori View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:25pm
Thanks for your input! We are also wondering if anyone has feedback on purchase price of 11K for a 2011 in excellent condition with a grill and screen enclosure as well as 2 tvs, new tires, mattress etc. 181G....I see so many prices! 
Lori Norris
RPOD 182G 2018
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:45pm
I just replaced my C load range tires with Carlisle D range tires.  I got 14 inch tires because the spare is also 14 inch and I didn't want to have to buy a 3rd rim and tire.  As it turns out the Amazon screwed the order up and sent me 1 rim, then sent me a pair and won't take back the extra.  Now I have 3 new 14" rims.  If I had known they were going to screw up the order, I would have gotten 15" rims and a 3rd tire. 

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jglynn55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:07pm
Lori.  If I had to do it over again, I would have bought used.  All the extras cost money.  So that factors     into the price.  If you buy used, then it is worth going to the international forest river rally in august in Goshen Indianna  where the manufacturing plant is.  It is a long trip from florida, but make it an adventure.  Free of charge, they will check out your trailer.  Last year they recaulked all my outside seams.  I had them add a few upgrades and they only charged me their cost on parts, with free installation.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>