R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed**power question***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: **power question***
    Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:35pm
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Just a question hoping someone knows. We have Family who are going to stay a few nights in our rpod over Xmas. As we do every winter the batteries have been pulled and placed on trickle charger. Can we just plug the R pod in? Or do the batteries have to be hooked up?
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
Plug your power cable into the house (shore) power and see if things work.  I suspect they will.
Teddy
Jamie&Nicole View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:01pm
We were going to try just plugging in. But then i thought i would ask here 1st to see if anyone knows.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:22pm
The converter will supply 12V power. However, having at least a small 12V battery connected, such as a cheap 12V lawn tractor battery available at Walmart, will smooth out the power from the converter. It will also carry over if there should happen to be a brief power outage. However, don't expect it to last like the regular battery. If the regular batteries you mention are dual 6V, then this is a light weight way to install a battery that avoids having to manhandle the 6V batteries into place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:01pm
Personally I think the reason for having a battery is to maintain the break away brake capability. I think you can put shore power to Pod and use the Pod for overnight stays. Granted battery is a plus but for what you are trying to do, you'll be fine.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:52pm
Thanks all! For the helpful and timley reply’s! Happy Holidays 🎄 🎅 to everyone!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:34pm
A) make sure the battery connections are NOT touching or grounded.

B) plug in to shore power.

C) use Pod as normal.

Our Airstream has been plugged in with no battery for years. No issues.

NOTE.. if you have the ability to plug in at home, you can just leave the Pod plugged in, and battery(ies) mounted and connected, all winter, no issues. The Pods 3 stage charger will keep them happy, and charged, just fine.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:43pm
Thanks!! We have had our rpod for two years but in the winter we have taken advantage of the free steerage offered from dealer... however that is up next year. Someone informed us that when keeping rpod at home they the winter we could leave plugged in and heater on low and not winterize. This person seemed to think this was a better option than paying to have winterized. I should mention we are in Montana so it’s pretty cold.. do you have any thoughts on this?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:44pm
Lol. Please excuse my tothis form isn’t really “phone” friendly.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Jamie&Nicole

Thanks!! We have had our rpod for two years but in the winter we have taken advantage of the free steerage offered from dealer... however that is up next year. Someone informed us that when keeping rpod at home they the winter we could leave plugged in and heater on low and not winterize. This person seemed to think this was a better option than paying to have winterized. I should mention we are in Montana so it’s pretty cold.. do you have any thoughts on this?

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE WITH THAT ADVICE!

The R-Pods are not 4-season campers. The tanks (water, gray, black) are neither insulated nor heated. The pick-up water line to the water pump is also not insulated. Neither are the gray and black water drains. If you were only talking about inside lines, that might be possible, but it would burn up a lot of propane or cost a small fortune in electricity to provide sufficient heat to keep interior lines from freezing in Montana weather. If the heat went out, you risk broken water lines and broken toilet and sink valves not to mention a broken water pump.

Bottom line: Winterizing is absolutely necessary unless the whole R-Pod is stored in a heated building. If you were in the deep south where only occasional overnight freezing temperatures occur you might be able to skip winterizing. We were in Wyoming last December. It got really cold (low single digits) and stays below freezing for long periods. Go ahead and winterize. It does not take much time or effort to do so and it avoids the needs for expensive repairs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>