R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing MPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing MPG
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:12pm
I forgot to mention that always traveling down wind is one of the most helpful things you can do to improve mileage.  ............
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 V6 SV towing my 179 I get between 10-14 mpg with over 30,000 miles towing the 179 that has been a consistent average, I stay under 65 mph.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:37pm
The best gas mileage I ever got was when I owned a teardrop, as the trailers got larger the gas mileage went south. If your concerned about mileage, best you don't tow. Big truck is not the answer and some of the new motors make improvements, but end of the day - you can't tow anything without reduced mileage. Not a big fan of wings and such, you think works and it may in a limited capacity, but bottom line is you add the weight and drag it against the wind, the mileage suffers.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 5:26pm
I wonder if making one of those folding thingies that are often on the back of van trailers on semi's would help much?  On the other hand, in a strong cross-wind, it may be a little more exciting than I want to experience.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 5:33pm
Certainly not in my planned mods.
Mike Carter
2015 178
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:33am
Interesting discussion, our Venza Crossover puts the high backend closer to the Pod than a pick up but has no provision for a roof spoiler.  I have read a lot about the AirTabs but find the price at $2.00 US each pretty high as my rough calculation figured out at about 150 to 200 to do the sides, spoiler and AC.
Experience will tell, plus I am sure the price will come down as AirTabs become more popular.
I do have a question though, truck sites say that the closer cab aerodynamic devices are to the trailer the more positive the effect.  Would a light tarp between the top of the TV and the top of the Pod work if the dynamics of turning could be figured out.
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by NAP1947

I do have a question though, truck sites say that the closer cab aerodynamic devices are to the trailer the more positive the effect.  Would a light tarp between the top of the TV and the top of the Pod work if the dynamics of turning could be figured out.
I would think that any sort of fabric would just flap and buffet in the wind. I'm no expert though, so happy to hear what others might have to say.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by NAP1947

Interesting discussion, our Venza Crossover puts the high backend closer to the Pod than a pick up but has no provision for a roof spoiler.  I have read a lot about the AirTabs but find the price at $2.00 US each pretty high as my rough calculation figured out at about 150 to 200 to do the sides, spoiler and AC.
Experience will tell, plus I am sure the price will come down as AirTabs become more popular.

In about the 2nd year of poddness, we had an owner do a ton of experiments with aerodynamics, including putting about 200 air tabs on his Pod.. didn't do anything measurable. You will have to go far back into the archives, but the info is there..

I see no way to build a fabric bridge that would survive.. I have talked to fulltimers with 5er's, who say a spoiler at the rear of the cab was worth .5 to a full 1MPG.. doesn't sound like much, until you start talking a rig getting 7-8 MPG.. then you are talking a 15% improvement...
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by furpod

In about the 2nd year of poddness, we had an owner do a ton of experiments with aerodynamics, including putting about 200 air tabs on his Pod.. didn't do anything measurable. You will have to go far back into the archives, but the info is there..

I see no way to build a fabric bridge that would survive.. I have talked to fulltimers with 5er's, who say a spoiler at the rear of the cab was worth .5 to a full 1MPG.. doesn't sound like much, until you start talking a rig getting 7-8 MPG.. then you are talking a 15% improvement...
That pretty much lines up with my understanding of the dynamics. If you're already getting 12-15 MPG, then you may very well be at the best you can get pulling a pod. If you're in the 7-8 MPG range, then a 1 MPG improvement might be worth a few bucks.

Let's see, 1 MPG better than 9 MPG at 1000 miles... you would save around 11 gallons. At $2.50 per gallon, that comes to $27.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
Best ways to improve MPG: Change your driving habits, no rapid accelerations, excessive speed (60 mph plus), use cruise and overdrive, use dash AC only when needed, no excessive idling. Load and weight correctly Maintain your TV and your TT, tire pressures, air filters, sensors, oil changes, wheel bearings, etc. Some say use regular gas unless required.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>