R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing MPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing MPG
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:23pm
I find that doing 55-60 on the interstate gets us our best mileage, though it does aggravate a few down south where the speed limit is 70, but oh well we're retired Big smile
Also agree with proper tire pressure and daft of the truckers whenever possible.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:25pm
Long ago, I ran an airflow simulator on my r-pod.  The video below tells it all - a huge low-pressure vortex forms behind the trailer.  I made a few other videos on that channel with spoilers in various places - nothing really has a significant impact.

My best advice after nine years of 'podding: 55mph is the sweet spot for gas mileage.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:58am
Out, some very interesting videos.  What speed was programed into the simulations?  What is difference in the air pressure for the different colors?  Looks like the camper shell/topper helps quite a bit with turbulence between the TV and the Pod.  

I think your advice of driving around 55 is not only best for mileage, it's also best for the TV, and the driver's state of being.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:49am
The problem is that the test was done with Canadian air, hey. President Trump has assured us that U.S. air flows much better in fact we have the best flowing air in the world. In fact he is planning to build a wall to keep Canadian air outWink
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by lostagain

I think your advice of driving around 55 is not only best for mileage, it's also best for the TV, and the driver's state of being.  

Agree! And in California (at least), driving 55 while towing keeps money in your pocket that you would otherwise spend on a speeding ticket Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 2:37pm
The spoiler on our 172 makes it go faster.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:15pm
+1 Larry, sometimes I feel the TT pushing the TV.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 7:35am
 I have come to my own personal conclusion over the few years I've been towing. If you are towing many thousands of miles per year, buy a great tow vehicle first. If you buy overkill, you will still get decent (for towing) fuel economy. It's better than using a vehicle that usually gets 25 mpg highway which plummets to 11-12mpg towing.

If towing is NOT thousands of miles a year. Then just ignore the fuel use and cost. Use the tow vehicle you have now, and enjoy camping. No need to agonize over fuel use if it's a low percentage of your overall yearly mileage.

You could use a lot of math (rate calculations) to justify a new tow vehicle, but you will have to get the right combination of vehicle cost and fuel economy as it relates to your towing miles. Also, do you tow mountains, flat lands, tow weight, etc. So many variables.

It is difficult (and usually expensive) to achieve small AND measurable improvements in fuel economy. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:48pm
Happy to announce on this past weekend's long trip south, I pushed 12 MPG with the Tundra and the 179. Less than 11 in Mich/Ind/Ohio, but lots of headwind. Better in KY and TN (mid-11s) even in the mountains. Actually better than expected (> 12) the farther south we went. Mind you, I was at 60 mph or less 95% of the time. Altogether, I'm pleased. I guess it is all relative. The Tundra never won any contest on fuel efficiency! 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Rodfac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:10am
Just got back from a 4500 mile sojourn from KY out to Nevada, then back through AZ, NM, TX, AR, & TN. Our Pod, is a 2017 178. For the entire trip we averaged ~14.0 mpg. Daily averages varied from 11 in TX, NM and NV against stiff head winds, to 15.0 on the last day from Memphis to Louisville. 

Our TV is a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk with the 5.7L Hemi engine. We set 60-61 mph in the cruise control, but turned it off for steeper hill climbs. As others have said here, head winds make a huge difference, and 'drafting' behind a tractor trailer can gain you 3-5 mpg. We set back 100-200 feet behind them and they didn't seem to mind.

This model of Jeep is equipped with a stability control system that seems to do a great job in combination with an E2 Trunnion 6K WDH. During one stretch of 20 kt crosswinds, I turned the Jeeps stability system off and found that it made no difference in steering or sway, the hitch providing all that was needed. I'll try the Jeeps system all by itself when the weather clears to see how it stacks up against the E2's trunnions. (It's 28 degrees out now and snowing...in April!!)

All in all the hitch is a good one, works well, but does extend down well below the bumper, as we bottomed out on one gas station entry with a deeper than usual western style 'gutter' along the street.

HTH's Rod
La Grange, KY
2017 R-178; TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7L Hemi
Thank a vet for your freedoms, not a politician, nor "community organizer".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>