R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwning for 2016 rpod 182g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning for 2016 rpod 182g
    Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:07am
Hey everyone! First trip went well to Winston-Salem,aka arctic winter wonderland this weekend. 5inches of snow that stuck around!
I love snow but it would have been nice to have an awning over my door. I have an r-dome but I will only be taking that out for longer trips,probably only when hubby is with me,although I am going to play around with it at home and see how hard it is to set up.
But anyway,I know I wouldn’t have set it up this weekend with the short trip,snow storm,cold and busy schedule that I had.
Is the Thule awning available for this model? Can you use the r-dome with it or would I need to seek that and get the Thule room?
I have the r-dome  but haven’t even looked at it yet.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:26am
You cannot add the Thule to a model that didn't come with it. The mounting plates are not in the wall. It is also, a one or the other deal, because the keder rail for the dome mounts in the same place as the awning mounts.

Many owners have either made, or had made, a awning sheet to just slide into the keder rail, and bought posts from a repair parts place, or from a old tent, etc.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:52am
See my mods (here is a direct link) to see the awning I made. Since doing so, we had an accident which required that our RP179 go to the factory for repair. As part of that, the door side was replaced. Since the new side had the mounting plates, we also were able to get an awning added. I would not recommend having an accident to get one. Making an awning yourself is a better and less expensive option. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm
Ok,that’s what I figured. Strange that it took so long for the real awnings to come out. 
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
I’ll pull the out r-dome and see how tough it is to put up by myself. If it’s not too hard I’m sure I’ll appreciate the space when I’m at a 4-5 day dog show or if we go on a Scuba trip with the two of us.
Anybody use a little Home Depot screen room in shorter trips?
marked001 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:53pm
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2017 Rpod 182G
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 8:58am
+1 to the Pahaque awning, I have one. If you want a color pick the Pahaque site sells them, bit more expensive.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
meljr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by furpod

You cannot add the Thule to a model that didn't come with it. The mounting plates are not in the wall. It is also, a one or the other deal, because the keder rail for the dome mounts in the same place as the awning mounts.

Many owners have either made, or had made, a awning sheet to just slide into the keder rail, and bought posts from a repair parts place, or from a old tent, etc.

Here is a link to a YouTube video from an r-pod owner who raised his dome rail and mounted an awning.  It looked like a lot of work to me and way over my skill level, but it just goes to show you can do almost any modification if you are determined or demented enough.

-meljr
2018 Hood River 180
2016 Ford Transit 250 CampVan
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2008 Jeep JKU Wrangler X
2003 Dodge 2500 4x4
1989 Jeep MJ Comanche
1976 Dodge W100 Powerwagon
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by meljr

Originally posted by furpod

Here is a link to a YouTube video from an r-pod owner who raised his dome rail and mounted an awning.  It looked like a lot of work to me and way over my skill level, but it just goes to show you can do almost any modification if you are determined or demented enough.

-meljr

BUT, as I stated, he doesn't have any backer plates in the wall. So, yes, it can be done, but not properly or safely. Hopefully his awning won't ever catch the wind wrong and tear off the side. I know my way around pods, trust me.

It's agreed here, pretty much any mod CAN be done with enough money and effort. But for most, they wouldn't be worth it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Tracydr

I’ll pull the out r-dome and see how tough it is to put up by myself. If it’s not too hard I’m sure I’ll appreciate the space when I’m at a 4-5 day dog show or if we go on a Scuba trip with the two of us.
Anybody use a little Home Depot screen room in shorter trips?

Here is a link to a video of me putting ours up. Personally, I think the awning is useless. The awning does one thing. The dome does that, and a lot more.

Video Link.  

The most popular screen room by far is "the CLAM".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>