R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank strap - 178 - Event Date: 06 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black Tank strap - 178
    Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
With about 2,000 miles on our 2017 Mod 178, I was gassing up the car and checking out the camper, hitch connections, etc. and noticed that the black tank valve was a little close to the ground.  So I wiggled it, and, sure enough, the strap between the frame and the pipe clamp on the black tank valve tube had failed, so the valve tube was simply hanging from its connection to the tank itself.

I was lucky - it had not cracked the tube's connection to the tank, and had not been ruined by rubbing along the ground at 65 mph.

I always carry some stainless steel perforated strapping (and a few stainless screws, nuts/bolts) - so I was able to crawl under the camper, wrap the valve tube with the St Stl strapping and actually used the screw already in the frame (holding the failed strap) to secure the new St Stl strapping to the frame.

BEWARE - there is a lot of vibration that flexes that thin strap between the frame and the pipe clamp Forest River provides - even on Interstates.
'
The gray tank valve tube is different - it appears that there is no strap suspending that tube from the frame, but rather the pipe clamp seems to be directly connected to a fitting on the frame - I'll have to look more closely at that.
Teddy
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:16pm
This is such a common problem. I cant understand why F.R, cant simply make that hanger strap 1/8 thick. At 1/8 thick, it would cost them almost no money, and it would make the chance of it breaking very remote. THIS is the kind of stuff that makes people so irritated and complain about shoddy quality.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:19pm
Teddy,

I added an additional strap for safety, mine had not broken, but I'm more confident with two straps.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm
Smart move MC - it could have been a disaster!

You just never know - before deciding upon a FR rPod, we talked with a lot of folks in campgrounds all over the NW this year - None were without issues except perhaps a couple of folks with new Casitas.  However, the Casita forum talks about crazing of the gel coat and minor cracks in the molded fiberglass shell after 5 years or so.  Also, I feel a bit confined in the Casitas I've been in - and they are heavier.

I doubt there is a perfect solution for any of  us, but I love this forum to share/learn.
Teddy
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:43pm
Good call Teddy, it doesn't matter about things that break. I bought mine with no warranty and no amount of changes at FR is going to effect me. So I do preventative and other fixes as needed. Like you, I watch this forum and if I see repetitive complaints I look at that on mine and take some action. 178s are good trailers, I've fixed a lot of stuff, but I own it and I fix it:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
For kicks, I went by a nearby rPod dealer and checked out the 2018 178's - Apparently FR learned a lesson - the newer 178's do not have the 6" strap hanging the end of the black tank tube, but have it fixed directly to the frame with a fixture as they do the gray tank tube.
Teddy
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:47pm
Cool, there ain't no recalls:) Happy to see they addressed, but us older owners have to be prepared.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply