Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedleaving the pod for side excursions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaving the pod for side excursions
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:30pm
I am interested in hearing strategies and experiences regarding leaving the pod for side trips with the tow vehicle.  This would be for side trips up forest service roads or side trips in busier metro areas where towing would be stressful.  What kind of places have you left your pod for a few hours?    

I would plan on leaving a trailer ball lock on the rpod to keep it from being whisked away to meth land.  
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm
I may be missing your point but I use the Pod as a basecamp all the time. Once setup at camp area we go on excursions around the area for sight seeing, shopping, but basically the Pod is our room for the night. The reason for the Pod is to establish that base camp and allow us to venture out without it and at same time have a place to come back to with full service.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
pauls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
150 miles from a camp spot at point A to a camp spot at point C.  In the middle is an interesting stop at point B, but it's up a tricky gravel road or it's a tight metro area.  Drop the camper for a little while and come back to it after the part that isn't tow friendly.  
Moseymah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:46pm
I'll jump in with a related question...
If not a rented campsite in a campground, where might u feel comfortable leaving your pod for a side trip?
Maybe for 8-12 hours?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:37pm
A Walmart, a truckstop, a gas station, a parking lot.  You might have to make arrangements with the owner or manager; maybe even pay something, but it's not all that hard to find a place.  I also try to plan on leaving the Pod in the campground for little side trips, and when that's not possible, sometimes I just forego the side trip. Sometimes if you want your cake you can't eat it.... I have used street parking though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
If you have pets and want to leave them in the Pod while you wander, there are products available that connect to the cell network and monitor temperature and humidity. You can set them up to warn you if the temp gets too high in the Pod so you know when you need to head back to the barn. The one we use is the MarCELL made by Emerson Controls.
pauls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:18pm
I really appreciate the responses.  They are all helpful.  We are new pod owners, but have had another oregon based a-frame camping trailer in the past.  Although the trailers may have good clearance and are built a little tougher, some roads where hikes can be found are just too brutal or tight for towing.  We ran into this scenario quite often.  
BoskoTX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:13pm
We went camping for 4 nights at the Padre Island National Seashore the week after thanksgiving.  Set up the Rpod as base camp about 50 feet above the high tide line right on the beach.  We did a couple of excursions into town and for a fishing trip into the Gulf and left the Rpod behind with both a ball lock and hitch lock on it, had no problems at all.  For the fishing trip we were away about 10 hours.  The beach was very secluded, our closest neighbor was camped about 2 miles away, but we did have a trucks full of anglers going by about every 20 min or so.
shinysideup View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:55pm
I would recommend one of these for peace of mind while you're away from your rPod...
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
Those Proven locks are about the best that I've found.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>