R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with generator
    Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:59am
This week, I bought and installed a Curt cargo carrier that fits the 1 1/4" receiver on the rear of our Rpod and the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 generator/inverter.
IMG-1617 by Mel Lester Jr., on Flickr

IMG-1619 by Mel Lester Jr., on Flickr

IMG-1618 by Mel Lester Jr., on Flickr

The Curt cargo carrier was more expensive than the Harbor Freight equivalent, but not having to reduce the 2" hitch size to 1 1/4"with an extension made for a stronger installation in my opinion.  The 3500 generator fit in the cargo carrier like it was designed to fit (which it probably was) and I was able to lift it by myself into the carrier and secure it without problems. The generator electric started on the first hit of the switch and is extremely quiet -- probably more so than the roof air-conditioner.  All I had to do to install it was to connect the included battery, ground the generator to the Rpod, put in 20 oz. of 10-30 motor oil and fill it with stabilized regular gasoline (10% ethanol or less).  So far, I am quite satisfied.

-meljr

2018 Hood River 180
2016 Ford Transit 250 CampVan
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2008 Jeep JKU Wrangler X
2003 Dodge 2500 4x4
1989 Jeep MJ Comanche
1976 Dodge W100 Powerwagon
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:12am
Don't think I want to be behind that rig bouncing down the highway. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:26am
I would be very leery of your setup. While the generator does fit the carrier and the stinger fits the receiver, the weight of the generator plus the gasoline plus the carrier itself is likely going to cause problems. The receiver is not made to hold that kind of weight. It is rated at 150 lbs, but that is close-in. The generator itself weighs 99.2 lbs plus the weight of the oil and gasoline in the tank. Gasoline weighs 6.183 lbs/gallon. The Curt rack weighs 29.5 lbs (shipping weight, a little less after unpacked and assembled). You are pushing maximum weight just sitting still. Hit a big bump and you are likely to see your generator bouncing down the road when the crossbar holding the hitch receiver breaks at the welds.

I have used a rack similarly, but only put lightweight items back there. Total weight of what I carried was probably under 75 lbs. I never weighed things to get an exact figure but I kept it light. One propane tank, a small 2 gallon gasoline container, and some lightweight camping equipment. My generator rides on a Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray. That also happens to be the best place as it will have the smoothest ride. In the back, every bump is magnified since it is at the end of a lever opposite the fulcrum (hitch).

Please reconsider your arrangement before taking it out on the road. If it were to fall off, it would not only be a loss for you, but could potentially cause a fatality for someone following you. Please don't risk it! Since we now have a pickup truck, the items we used to carry on the rack now ride in the pickup bed. The rack itself went to my daughter since she needed it more than I did. My spare tire now rides in its original position on the back of the R-Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:27am
You may want to strengthen your attachment to the frame. Your generator weights about 99 pounds (dry weight) Gasoline is 6 pounds per gallon so a 5 gallon gas can is 30 pounds and the generator has a 2.6 gallon tank that adds another 15.6 pounds. I don't know what the basket weights but everything else is 141.5 pounds. You have quite a lot of weight cantilevered out from the trailer. I have seen pictures where the receiver was bent from to much weight
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:58am
I like your setup but am a little concerned about the weight as well. I'm almost done with a custom designed, smaller and lighter rack for the hitch as well that will hold our Honda 2000i and 2 Gal Rotopax gas can. What I hope to achieve is the ability to store, tote and lock down the gen in the same spot it will be used as well as not to be next to where I sleep or watch tv (tongue area) in the 179. The spare tire will go under the back between the frame on a swing out system.   
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:41pm
I also would bolster the support, possibly use the ends of the frame rails. I wouldn't be comfortable with the present set up. Shouldn't be much of a project to add support arms.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:55pm
I've considered carrying one of our Honda 2000 generators on a carrier in the back and the other on an A-frame tray (the aforementioned Stromberg-Carlson). They would roughly cancel each other out weight-distribution-wise and the weight on the back should be supportable (~50 lbs for the generator plus the rack weight). Unfortunately, I'd have to figure out a place to put the spare.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I've considered carrying one of our Honda 2000 generators on a carrier in the back and the other on an A-frame tray (the aforementioned Stromberg-Carlson). They would roughly cancel each other out weight-distribution-wise and the weight on the back should be supportable (~50 lbs for the generator plus the rack weight). Unfortunately, I'd have to figure out a place to put the spare.

I have a BAL Hide-a-spare tire carrier available. I am no longer using it since we got the pickup. I don't know how much shipping would be though. They sell new on Amazon for about $100. Mine was the 28210 and was modified to fit the RP179 frame distance. That should be the same for other models also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by TheBum

I have a BAL Hide-a-spare tire carrier available. I am no longer using it since we got the pickup. I don't know how much shipping would be though. They sell new on Amazon for about $100. Mine was the 28210 and was modified to fit the RP179 frame distance. That should be the same for other models also.

I'd be leery of using a carrier like that since our Pod doesn't have risers. I'm not really inclined to add risers because of the hit to my already marginal gas mileage.
VancleVector View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:47am
First, for Propane generator. I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

Never too late to learn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>