R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with generator
    Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 10:45am
The reason is simple: Gasoline has a higher energy density than propane. Gasoline has 114,500 BTU/gallon. Propane has 91,500 BTU/gallon. Therefore, gasoline can generate more power. The flip side is that propane has a higher octane rating and burns a lot cleaner than gasoline. Propane engines can last much longer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 8:07am
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread at some point, but running a genny on propane will not put out the same wattage as running on gas. I don't really know why, but thats what I have been told. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by VancleVector

First, for Propane generator. I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

I bet this starts your pod air conditioner and the microwave at the same time.  Maybe even a hair drier and coffee pot too!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
VancleVector View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:49am
Second, for portable generator.
My experience is that people want (a) easy and (b) cheap.so I'll focus on portable units.
Where are you going to (1) store your generator (2) set up the generator to use it? Remember, it may be severe weather so, where could you put it to keep it safe and be able to refuel it easily? If you're using power cords, will they be dry and as far out of the way as possible?
Small generators (less than 5500 watts) can only do so much. If you overload the unit and damage it, you won't have any power at all. So be smart! Portable units are made up to almost 20k watts but they're not for people on budgets.
The bottom line is to add up the load (watts) you plan to connect and size your generator at least 25% higher. When motors like the compressor in the refrigerator start up there is a sudden draw of power higher than the normal running load and you want to compensate for that.
Small appliances will have the wattage marked on them. Lighting circuits will be less than 1200 watts each. Water heater is 4500 watts alone.
Also,you'll truly get what you pay for...unless you buy from one of those guys selling from the back of their pick-up truck (don't do that). Don't wait till the last minute or you'll be stuck with whatever is left in the stores. I got a cummins genenerator and it is hard to find a place for storing.
Oh, and the "trick" with connecting the generator to the dryer outlet to backfeed the house? DON'T YOU DARE!! It will result in damage and/or injury...
Hope that helped a little...sorry it's so wordy
Never too late to learn
VancleVector View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:47am
First, for Propane generator. I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

Never too late to learn
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by TheBum

I've considered carrying one of our Honda 2000 generators on a carrier in the back and the other on an A-frame tray (the aforementioned Stromberg-Carlson). They would roughly cancel each other out weight-distribution-wise and the weight on the back should be supportable (~50 lbs for the generator plus the rack weight). Unfortunately, I'd have to figure out a place to put the spare.
I have a BAL Hide-a-spare tire carrier available. I am no longer using it since we got the pickup. I don't know how much shipping would be though. They sell new on Amazon for about $100. Mine was the 28210 and was modified to fit the RP179 frame distance. That should be the same for other models also.

I'd be leery of using a carrier like that since our Pod doesn't have risers. I'm not really inclined to add risers because of the hit to my already marginal gas mileage.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I've considered carrying one of our Honda 2000 generators on a carrier in the back and the other on an A-frame tray (the aforementioned Stromberg-Carlson). They would roughly cancel each other out weight-distribution-wise and the weight on the back should be supportable (~50 lbs for the generator plus the rack weight). Unfortunately, I'd have to figure out a place to put the spare.

I have a BAL Hide-a-spare tire carrier available. I am no longer using it since we got the pickup. I don't know how much shipping would be though. They sell new on Amazon for about $100. Mine was the 28210 and was modified to fit the RP179 frame distance. That should be the same for other models also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:55pm
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:41pm
I also would bolster the support, possibly use the ends of the frame rails. I wouldn't be comfortable with the present set up. Shouldn't be much of a project to add support arms.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:58am
I like your setup but am a little concerned about the weight as well. I'm almost done with a custom designed, smaller and lighter rack for the hitch as well that will hold our Honda 2000i and 2 Gal Rotopax gas can. What I hope to achieve is the ability to store, tote and lock down the gen in the same spot it will be used as well as not to be next to where I sleep or watch tv (tongue area) in the 179. The spare tire will go under the back between the frame on a swing out system.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>