R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSiberian Icebox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siberian Icebox
    Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by furpod

At -20F, you don't have enough surface area in a 5 gallon tank to evaporate fast enough to maintain gas flow.

I would hope that anyone planning camping in temperatures regularly below 32F would have dual propane tanks, preferably 40 lbs. instead of 20 lbs.  Even so, if your furnace is running virtually all the time, which I imagine it would be at -20F, you would not even have quite a five day supply of propane if you weren't burning it for anything else.

Few travel trailers are stock built with insulation truly adequate for that kind of weather.  Ice fishing travel trailers are designed for it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:22pm
Another alternative to the heater mentioned above is a Mr. Heater Portable. I would not recommend the Little Buddy because it is so top-heavy that it falls over too easily, especially with the newer 1 lb disposable cylinders which have the plastic base. The base for the Little Buddy isn't tall enough to hold the tank adequately. The portable works well, but one does need to provide some fresh air venting for the Mr. Buddy heaters. It does not take much, only a few square inches. With the Mr. Buddy filter and a hose, one can use a larger tank also. If one is using a distribution post with a larger tank, the Little Buddy could be mounted there and the weight of the larger tank will be adequate to ensure stability. However, that would mean bringing a larger tank inside which might not be desirable. I would think that catalytic heaters would also require venting to prevent CO poisoning.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:20pm
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm

At -20F, you don't have enough surface area in a 5 gallon tank to evaporate fast enough to maintain gas flow.

Interesting.  A quick Google search indicates not only that what you say is probably true, but the higher the rate of usage of the propane, the colder it's going to get.  The furnace running continuously is going to cause rapid cool-down of the propane.  At minus 20, it may not matter how slow or fast you try to use the propane though, the boil-off is likely to be so slow.

This is another argument for the Mr. Heater heaters that would have the propane bottles inside the heated area.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:48am
Originally posted by StephenH

Another alternative to the heater mentioned above is a Mr. Heater Portable. I would not recommend the Little Buddy because it is so top-heavy that it falls over too easily, especially with the newer 1 lb disposable cylinders which have the plastic base. The base for the Little Buddy isn't tall enough to hold the tank adequately. The portable works well, but one does need to provide some fresh air venting for the Mr. Buddy heaters. It does not take much, only a few square inches. With the Mr. Buddy filter and a hose, one can use a larger tank also. If one is using a distribution post with a larger tank, the Little Buddy could be mounted there and the weight of the larger tank will be adequate to ensure stability. However, that would mean bringing a larger tank inside which might not be desirable. I would think that catalytic heaters would also require venting to prevent CO poisoning.

The 1 lb. propane 'bottles' don't last long at all when used for heating a space, especially when you're talking about sub-freezing and more especially sub-zero outside temperatures.  Connecting to a 20 lb. or larger propane tank is really a must.

The Mr. Heaters are a fine heat source.  It is absolutely critical that the Pod be adequately ventilated (just open a window a few inches and/or the vent on the ceiling) and that an operational carbon monoxide detector be used.

That being said, I'm now convinced that the Olympian Wave heaters are far superior.  They are catalytic heaters and convert most of their heat to radiant heat (i.e. 'light' heat) rather than convection heat (i.e. heated air).  This makes them far superior at directing heat in a specific direction (e.g. toward you) rather than that heat going straight up to the ceiling.  Those using them in RVs report using much less propane with them.  Further, since they are catalytic, once they warm up, they produce absolutely zero carbon monoxide.  They still require ventilation because they produce carbon dioxide and need fresh oxygen, but this is far less dangerous than carbon monoxide.  Regardless, a carbon monoxide detector should still be used in any enclosed space when anything is being burned.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Interesting.  A quick Google search indicates not only that what you say is probably true, but the higher the rate of usage of the propane, the colder it's going to get.  The furnace running continuously is going to cause rapid cool-down of the propane.  At minus 20, it may not matter how slow or fast you try to use the propane though, the boil-off is likely to be so slow.

This is another argument for the Mr. Heater heaters that would have the propane bottles inside the heated area.

TT

I used to live in North Dakota, where -50F happens with some regularity every winter.  At -44F, propane no longer boils.  You could open the tank and stare at the liquid propane.  Those with no other heat source literally have to build a fire with something like wood around their propane tank to heat it up enough for it to vaporize.  Now, most people just get underground tanks, which are sufficient to keep them from getting that cold.

It's a different world below zero.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:27am
can you guys summarize all this for me so im on track.  the furnace/heater will or will not work at -20?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:53am
Originally posted by hogone

can you guys summarize all this for me so im on track.  the furnace/heater will or will not work at -20?  hogone

To summarize.. the furnace/heater itself will work. BUT... it won't work with a 5 gallon upright tank, due to the small surface area and being to close to the boil point of liquid propane.

Your propane tank stores liquid propane, but all your appliances use gaseous propane. The propane liquid boils at a very low temperature. (-44F) as it boils and moves to a gas, the lines feed it to the appliances. When using a high draw appliance, and the cabin heater is the highest in the Pod, it needs a roiling boil, but at those low temps, it's just a simmer. So you need higher storage temps, or more surface area in the storage container, to be able to produce enough gaseous propane to run the heater.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by WillThrill

The 1 lb. propane 'bottles' don't last long at all when used for heating a space, especially when you're talking about sub-freezing and more especially sub-zero outside temperatures.  Connecting to a 20 lb. or larger propane tank is really a must.

The Mr. Heaters are a fine heat source.  It is absolutely critical that the Pod be adequately ventilated (just open a window a few inches and/or the vent on the ceiling) and that an operational carbon monoxide detector be used.

That being said, I'm now convinced that the Olympian Wave heaters are far superior.  They are catalytic heaters and convert most of their heat to radiant heat (i.e. 'light' heat) rather than convection heat (i.e. heated air).  This makes them far superior at directing heat in a specific direction (e.g. toward you) rather than that heat going straight up to the ceiling.  Those using them in RVs report using much less propane with them.  Further, since they are catalytic, once they warm up, they produce absolutely zero carbon monoxide.  They still require ventilation because they produce carbon dioxide and need fresh oxygen, but this is far less dangerous than carbon monoxide.  Regardless, a carbon monoxide detector should still be used in any enclosed space when anything is being burned.

Best I can tell, the claim that catalytic propane heaters produce zero CO is not correct.  They produce less than propane heaters that have a flame, but they do produce CO and consume O.  The bottom line is that with any non-vented heater used in a Pod, one should use caution and have a CO detector, and an ODS (oxygen depletion sensor, which the Mr. Heater heaters have (they don't have CO detectors as I thought)), and keep a window or the vent cracked.  Beyond that, I don't like the idea of using them while I sleep.  Sleeping bags and blankets are much preferred to indoor unvented heaters and the possibility of waking up dead.

I use Mr. Heater heaters all the time.  They are radiant heaters, which I agree are preferable in a Pod.  I like the big ones that let you hook up 2 x one pound bottles.  Two bottles will last a pretty long time on low.  I don't think low will cut it at -20° F though.  It is a much more expensive way to heat than with propane from a 20 lb bottle though.  You can hook up the Mr. Heater heaters to a 20 lb (or larger) tank, but it's not recommended to have the larger tank indoors.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Best I can tell, the claim that catalytic propane heaters produce zero CO is not correct.  They produce less than propane heaters that have a flame, but they do produce CO and consume O. 

No, it is literally impossible for a working, 'warmed up' catalytic heater to produce carbon monoxide.  The reason is because the heater is oxidizing the propane at a temperature below that needed to produce a flame.  Without a flame, it is not possible to generate carbon monoxide.

"One of the most common comments we get asked is, “Do catalytic heaters generate carbon monoxide?”. Carbon monoxide is a gas that is produced during the burning of fossil fuels and can be deadly when it builds up in small enclosed areas like tents, trailers, garage or hunting cabins. Luckily, catalytic heaters do not produce carbon monoxide since propane is a clean burning gas making these heaters perfectly safe to use in areas with little ventilation."
https://www.sleepingbagdirt.com/coleman-catalytic-heater-information-and-tips/

That being said, if the catalytic plate becomes contaminated or damaged in some way, then combustion can occur, generating carbon monoxide.  So a carbon monoxide detector is still highly recommended.  And ventilation is still necessary in order to prevent oxygen levels from dropping too lowly and carbon dioxide levels from increasing too highly.

The thermal efficiency of catalytic heaters is also far superior to that of traditional propane heaters like the Mr. Buddy line.  And since they operate with no flame once warmed up, they represent far less of a fire hazard.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>