R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV BOOSTER - Event Date: 03 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: TV BOOSTER
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
New 2017 mod 178 - did not come with TV signal booster - at least there is no switch to turn one on-off.

Is the $35 Winegard useful?  It apparently comes with a USB and 120 vac power options. 

Also, the 178 has two USB ports under the TV - but they don't seem to charge beyond 50% or so for a Samsung phone.  ???
Teddy
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:52am
If you can spring for the Winegard digital. (link below).  I upgraded or larger travel trailer and the rpod.  Much better.  The other provides minimal amplification.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-342-SensarPro-Signal-Strength/dp/B004NFTOLY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1512319891&sr=8-10&keywords=rv+antenna+booster
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:46am
The antenna that comes with the RPOD is the cheapest model.  It is manual rotator without a signal seeker and does not have a signal booster.  However there is a an-line booster.  It is on the switchplate for where the TV plugs into.  It is a small round black switch so it is hard to see.  But when pushed it lights up green.  It has to be used.  We rarely are able to get any stations when camping if it is turned off.  And we keep it turned off alot because 1. it is very bright and bothers us when we sleep.  and 2 It draws 12v and could be a battery killer if you store the POD for several weeks and forget to turn it off.  When turned on it pulls in many stations.  So you probably do not need to buy anything and just find the signal booster switch and turn it on.  Also it takes some time to manuallly turn the antenna until you find the most stations.  There are phone apps that use your location to tell you where to aim the antenna. 
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
pjfrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:30am
This may be a little off subject but does anyone know the make and model of the tv booster in a 2016 171?
Ours was working fine until yesterday.  With the booster on an over the air search only found 2 channels.  With the booster off the over the air search found 18 channels.  Opposite from what you'd expect.  Also, with the booster off, a good signal goes away when the booster is turned on.
 I haven't measured input voltage or ohmed out the fuse because the power light comes on.  I'm pretty sure you gotta have power for that.
pjfrog
HR 171
F150
AvrilPress View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 11:56am
Hello...i would like to add into your knowledge the Wingman will help you with the upper frequency (UHF) channels although that doesn't always correlate to channel numbers.
The Sensarpro Tv Signal Meter helps you when looking for the strongest signal and direction. It also amplifies the antenna signal even more which is helpful for weak, distant stations.
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:17pm
Where else would the switch be to turn the antenna booster on/off? The tv in my 189 plugs into a gfci wall outlet. The only switch nearby is for the inverter. The antenna is on all the time which is a battery drag. I have looked everywhere...in the bedroom area there is a switch for the satellite/ cable...but that does not affect the antenna booster. I am at a loss...how do you turn the darn antenna/booster off? Thanks for any help
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:04pm
Follow the antenna line from the television back to where it connects to the wall. That should be a plate with a switch. That switch is for the antenna booster.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:44pm
There in lies the rub...the antenna from the tv disappears in to an instrument box. This box is located above the tv and attached to the wall/ceiling. There is a cable and antenna passing through the bottom of this box going to the tv. The solar controller, radio and speaker controls and the switch controllers for the slide, awning and lights are mounted on this box. The hole where the wires pass through is inaccessible...all I get a snow of styrofoam out this hole whenever we go on the road. There is a switch that has satellite/ cable on it over the bed...but this does nothing for the antenna. I would have to bust into this box to investigate further.  Thanks for replying...the search continues.
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
 Post Reply Post Reply