R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnode rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anode rod
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:13pm
Greetings...

I'm still a newbie at all this so maybe this is a really stupid question.

Background:  We had our Pod in the shop for miscellaneous stuff several months ago.  One thing they did was flush the hot water heater.  I'm assuming some gorilla worked on our trailer because there is no HUMAN way to get that anode rod out.  Nothing will make it unscrew.  I have popped the pressure valve and gotten some water out of it.

Here's my question:  Can I just proceed with the winterization or will freezing temperatures do something devastating to the hot water heater if I leave it in this condition?

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 1:23pm
What are you using to try to loosen the anode rod? If you're using a regular wrench, try adding a cheater bar, which is a long metal tube with a large enough diameter to fit the wrench handle into it. It will provide you with the extra leverage you need.

I use a Harbor Freight torque wrench that I used when installing our WDH.
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:25pm
x2 on longer wrench and be very careful.  When you're through use some teflon tape when you put it back on.  As to your question of winterization.  I drained the cold and hot system using the low point drains and was surprised that probably about one gallon remained in the water heater.  We have a larger travel trailer and have done the same with it.  I'm sure some water remained in the tank.  No problems over the last two winters; however I did run a space heater in the trailer to keep the the interior from reaching freezing and left the cabinet doors open to the water heater's location.  Another thing I did was to put fiberglass insulation inside the water heater's door.
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:37pm
Good ideas.  I can take my 1 1/6th wrench to the store and see if I can't match the handle to some extender.  

However, (tell me if this is the case with all pods) it is not altogether the fact that it is stuck.  Because of the layout of the space, there is a brass tube/pipe in an awkward place almost on top of the anode thinger.  It is very hard to keep the wrench seated firmly on the anode when putting force on it.

Frustrating.  Do others have this issue?
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:46pm
Oh, and while I'm here displaying my ignorance let me ask another question:

I drained every low point drain I could find.  I'm just curious... what exactly am I draining when I unscrew the plugs labeled"hot" and "cold"?  Is it just some pipes through which hot and cold water travel, or is there some sort of reservoir associated with each one?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 3:58pm
Anode rods are made to be replaced. Be careful with breaker bars. The anode rod does not screw all the way in. Not sure about interference issues, mine is easily accessible. Agree you should clean threads and use Teflon tape, do not overtighten. The low point drains are exactly that, there will be residual water, in water heater and other places. You need to remove anode and clean tank and winterize. End of the day, I like to do somethings myself not take it to somebody and then find they didn't do right stuff. Good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by 1tulip

Good ideas.  I can take my 1 1/6th wrench to the store and see if I can't match the handle to some extender.  
However, (tell me if this is the case with all pods) it is not altogether the fact that it is stuck.  Because of the layout of the space, there is a brass tube/pipe in an awkward place almost on top of the anode thinger.  It is very hard to keep the wrench seated firmly on the anode when putting force on it.
Frustrating.  Do others have this issue?

When I use the torque wrench, I also use a socket extension so that the handle can be moved perpendicularly to the axis of the anode rod. If you use a regular socket wrench with a cheater bar, you could to the same thing; most socket wrench sets come with extenders.
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:55pm
We are using a socket extender.  That anode placement is a real piece of work.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:06pm
Mine was a little hard to get out the first time. Make sure you are using a 6 point socket. Once I got it out I used a 3/4-14 pipe tap to clean the treads and remove the corrosion inside the fitting that is welded to the water heater. When I reinstalled the anode I use pipe dope and Teflon tape. The tape was to seal so it wouldn't leak and the pipe dope acts as an anti-size. When I remove it every 2 years it come right out
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:48pm
Good tip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150