Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThanksgiving resolution - George Washington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving resolution - George Washington
    Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:02am
Washington, as President of the United States, on the 3rd day of October, 1789, issued a proclamation, in agreement with the proceedings of Congress's resolution on September 25, 1789.

"When we review the calamities which afflict so many other nations, the present condition of the United States affords much of consolation and satisfaction.  Our exemption hitherto from foreign war, an increasing prospect of the continuance of that exemption, the great degree of internal tranquility we have enjoyed, the recent confirmation of that tranquility by the suppression of an insurrection which so wantonly threatened it, the happy course of our public affairs in general, the unexampled prosperity of all classes of our citizens, are circumstances which peculiarly mark our situation with indications of the Divine beneficence towards us.  In such a state, it is in an especial manner our duty as a people, with devout reverence and affectionate gratitude, to acknowledge our many and great obligations to Almighty God, and to implore Him to continue and confirm the blessings we experience.

Deeply penetrated with this sentiment, I, George Washington, President of the United States, do recommend to all religious societies and denominations, and to all persons whomsoever within the United States, to set apart and observe Thursday, the 19th of February next, as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, and on that day to meet together and render their sincere thanks to the Great Ruler of nations for the manifold and signal mercies which distinguish our lot as a nation, particularly for the possession of constitutions of government which unite, and by their union establish, liberty with order; for the preservation of our peace, foreign and domestic; for the seasonable control which has been given to a spirit of disorder in the suppression of the late insurrection; and, generally, for the prosperous course of our affairs, public and private; and at the same time humbly and fervently to beseech the kind Author of these blessings graciously to prolong them to us; to imprint on our hearts a deep and solemn sense of our obligations to Him for them; to teach us rightly to estimate their immense value; to preserve us from the arrogance of prosperity, and from hazarding the advantage we enjoy by delusive pursuits; to dispose us to inherit the continuance of His favors by not abusing them, by our gratitude for them, and by a corresponding conduct as citizens and as men; to render this country more and more a safe and propitious asylum for the unfortunate of other countries; to extend among us true and useful knowledge; to diffuse and establish habits of sobriety, order, morality, and piety; and finally, to impart all the blessings we possess, or ask for ourselves, to the whole family of mankind.

In testimony whereof, I have caused the seal of the United States of America to be affixed to these presents, and signed the same with my hand."     G. Washington
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:07am
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:08am
Excellent !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:28am
+1
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:38am
+2
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:51am
A year or so ago I posted a little jock, I got dumped all over, people said it had nothing to do with podding. My ? is, what does this have to do with podding.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:24pm
It is posted in the "Off Topic" section of the forum, which is appropriate. It is good to be thankful for our blessings, whether on Canadian or American Thanksgiving day.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
Seems like a good post to me.  What I really hope for is that we here in North America keep having the 18 -25 yr olds hit the recruiting centers and sign on the line as well as those on the thin blue line working cruiser cars and those reporting to Fire Halls.  I think those are some of the reasons we live so well here and can be thankful.  I know in the US its considered the "holidays" so happy holiday to all.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:39pm
 We are here as friends with r-pods in common and one lonely Vibe. Smile  We have a lot to be thankful for everyday. Marwayne you are right, George Washington didn't have a r-pod back then. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by marwayne

A year or so ago I posted a little jock, I got dumped all over, people said it had nothing to do with podding.
My ? is, what does this have to do with podding.

I don't know who dumped on you, or why but, they shouldn't have. This topic area of the forum is for that very purpose....things other than Pods, camping, etc. The only restrictions are regarding religion, politics and weapons.   (We might also mention SPAM and/or posts of a sexual/lewd nature)

If you have something you want to post, let 'er rip! If it is taboo/in violation, you'll hear it from the admins (though, in your case, I can't imagine that happening).

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>