R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOT: Build your own Teardrop!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT: Build your own Teardrop!
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:18pm
I prefixed this with "OT:" because it is definitely off topic WRT R-pods, but I found it interesting anyway.

Got news of this in an email from CLC (Chesepeake Light Craft) about a Teardrop kit they are offering now (http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html).

I built one of their kayaks several years ago, and also re-habbed one that we bought.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm
Looks beautiful, I love the look of wood BUT, I don't like the thought of refinishing down the line OR the smallness inside, get a bit of claustrophobia.  But that is me.  When we built our house in 1980 we finished it with cedar board and batten; looked great.  But over time it was time to put the Olympic n cedar natural tone on it and after a couple decades of that the boards began to lose "the look."  After 25 years I put vinyl siding on (with a wood look of course) and really like the low maintenance of it.  Great read though, thanks for posting/sharing.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
Nice teardrop. I had a Tennessee Rolling Oak for a number of years, sold to a family member and still on the trail. Love those wood teardrops. Just wasn't practical for me and wife as we aged and traveled with dog. Love to look at them and remember simple camping.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm
They are really nice looking.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:12am
We saw one last year, was pretty well built, and pretty well thought out.. but.. I am past the point of needing/wanting just a cute sleeping space. The carpenter in me wants to order the kit.. the old man in me knows I wouldn't use it much. I like indoor plumbing and such now days..
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:43am
Looks nice. Looks like a lot of work too!  We thought about a little teardrop while we were tent camping.  I'm sure it's the perfect solution for some people, but I never could accept the idea of something that small.  I'm like Furpod; more space and a full bathroom, plus all the other RPod amenities!

I still think they're cute and there would be times I'd use it, but I know it would just never happen.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:34am
We always like looking at teardrops when we see one on the road, or in a campground. I think they fill a need, especially if you have a small car and/or limited budget. So it's fun to look at, but never a real consideration.

I think if I was fresh out of school (or college), and wanted to travel a bit, something like this would be very appealing.
bp
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

We always like looking at teardrops when we see one on the road, or in a campground. I think they fill a need, especially if you have a small car and/or limited budget. So it's fun to look at, but never a real consideration.

I think if I was fresh out of school (or college), and wanted to travel a bit, something like this would be very appealing.

Just so you know, many if not most of the factory built teardrops cost as much or usually more than, a Pod. T@B is probably the most popular, they start, real world, off the lot purchase price, very close to $18K..
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by furpod

Just so you know, many if not most of the factory built teardrops cost as much or usually more than, a Pod. T@B is probably the most popular, they start, real world, off the lot purchase price, very close to $18K..
A painful reality. That said, I think you "could" build a small teardrop without breaking the bank. Assuming that you were skilled, and good with your hands/tools. The CLC teardrop after looking at it, is a really complicated design. Most of the teardrops I've seen on the road are much, much simpler.

Still fun to look at.
bp
 Post Reply Post Reply