R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti Sway Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti Sway Hitch
    Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
We have towed our pod with and without the WDH (we have an E2). With our truck it's not "really" needed,  and it tows just fine either way (the truck is capable of up to 5000 lbs without WDH).

That said, give it a big side wind or winding roads, which happen here and there, and I am just more comfortable with the WDH.

If you have a smaller vehicle, the WDH will be much more important. If you have a larger vehicle,  maybe not so much.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:26am
I think the choice is highly dependent on the tow vehicle. The shorter the wheel base of the tv, the more need for sway control. Certainly weight location when packing the pod is also important. So, a longer wheel base and weight properly placed in front of the axle will help eliminate sway in most situations. However, a passing semi, a quick steering correction  or extreme winds will negate the best packing job and the largest tow vehicle.

We tow with a Ford Expedition-a very large,long and heavy tow vehicle. I use an Equalizer 4 point wdh with anti sway. I think my truck, my pod and our lives are worth the $600. It is not always necessary,but it is always there if we need it. I feel much more comfortable knowing that my rig is as prepared as possible.

We have towed an R Pod  for over 40,000 miles with our setup and I wouldn’t tow it without the wdh and anti sway.

How much have you already invested in your tv and pod? What would a crash cost in money,pain or suffering?
 I think you get my point.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:01pm
Ahh the debate continues!  You will find a real cross section of owners here on this subject although I think the WDH/anti sway crowd is the current majority.  We have the E2 and I can honestly say I don't know how the Pod would tow without it because I've never tried it.  This summer we went through howling winds, driving rain storms, curvy highways, you name it and through it all the pod ran straight and true without wiggle behind us.  Saw lots of other stuff on the highway that was weaving all over the place and its not really something I would want to try.....so yep....I'm in the WDH/AS crowd as well.  Just seems to be the thing to do.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:59pm
+1 to comments. Really about knowing your capabilities and doing what makes you comfortable. I know folks that don't know that, that are not with us anymore. Good friend of mine was killed hauling concrete bags from Lowe's because the fork lift dropped them on the tail of a 16' trailer, flipped the truck in two miles. One has to understand the weights and balances and do the upmost to be safe. Lot to add in to the capabilities and abilities of your rig. Everybody has their own ideas. Best you take time and know your risk and limitations. It will always be a debate.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:18pm
+2
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
RichF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:59pm

I put a deposit on a 190 and will be picking it up in early December. My TV is a 17 Honda Ridgeline AWD (5k tow Limit, 125” wheel base). The Honda owner’s manual says the ridgeline does not need a WDH but if one is installed it should be done by the camper supplier so that it is adjusted properly.  I plan not to install a WDH initially and see how it goes. Since this is my first camper I will take it easy before I determine if I need a WDH or not.

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:56pm
Welcome to the group!! Congrats on your 190!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:23pm
I tow a '17 179 with both a late modal Jeep Rubicon 4 door and a Ram 1500. I use a E2 sway and wdh with the jeep and it its nice to have. The truck doesn't need either. Even with passing a big rig while towing with the Ram on a narrow road, the Pod once in a while will wiggle a little but I only notice it if I'm looking at it in the mirror. It has no seat of the pants effect on the truck at all.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by RichF

I put a deposit on a 190 and will be picking it up in early December. My TV is a 17 Honda Ridgeline AWD (5k tow Limit, 125” wheel base). The Honda owner’s manual says the ridgeline does not need a WDH but if one is installed it should be done by the camper supplier so that it is adjusted properly.  I plan not to install a WDH initially and see how it goes. Since this is my first camper I will take it easy before I determine if I need a WDH or not.

From personal experience having towed a 172 with a 2010 4WD Honda Pilot: The pilot is the SUV version of the Ridgeline. You will want the WDH with AS.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
RichF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:21am

[/QUOTE]
From personal experience having towed a 172 with a 2010 4WD Honda Pilot: The pilot is the SUV version of the Ridgeline. You will want the WDH with AS.
[/QUOTE]

You are probably correct but the wheel base on the Ridgeline is 16” longer then the Pilot so I will follow Honda’s recommendation at first and then reassess.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>