R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew rpod 179 owner/ issues and concerns - Event Date: 18 Nov 2017 - 06 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new rpod 179 owner/ issues and concerns
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:30pm
+1 to sav-a jack.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:26pm
I put a Sava-Jack on each of the back stabilizer jacks just to give more clearance.  Seems like a lot of gas stations have a pretty deep gutter at the street- driveway interface.  10 minute installation.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:46am
Last one first: RV antifreeze is needed to ensure that ALL water is pushed out or drained from the system. Just draining the pipes, even with the low-point drains will not ensure all water is clear from all the pipes and the valves. Any water in a faucet or toilet valve has the potential to crack the valve. This also applies to the water pump and pump filter.

A lot of people use just compressed air to blow the water out of the lines. I have tried that, followed with RV antifreeze. Even after blowing the lines out, I did notice some residual water in the lines when I ran the RV antifreeze through. This year, I just drained everything and ran the RV antifreeze through, skipping the compressed air. It worked well and took less time than before.

1. You may wish to put a stronger backing board behind the trim piece so the screws will have something to grab onto.
2. You may need to adjust the placement of the catch to line up better.
3. I noticed that on mine. I replaced one screw in each one with a stainless steel bolt, washers, and nylock nuts. I don't remember if I put pictures in my mods. There is a risk of the tank falling if the screws don't hold. This may be "industry standard" but it is a rather poor method of securing tanks. Bolts through the frame to hold would be much better.
4. Push on the door slightly as you lock and unlock. I think you can adjust the catch also to make it slightly looser.
5. It may have been water that blew in through the refrigerator vent openings or, if the window was not tightly shut, from there. It is hard to tell. What was the wind like in that rainstorm and how fast were you towing? Either or both might have played a part in this.

I hope you get the shower floor repaired to your satisfaction. While they are at it, they can reinforce the floor to reduce the flex that can break the shower drain and cause a leak there.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I would like to get a diesel powered vehicle. Right now we tow with a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4. It is nice but could use more power.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jm179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:09am
 As a recent owner of a new 2017 rpod I would like to relay my overall opinion of my trailer and get some feedback as to whether any body else has had similar concerns. First of all I just retired in August with the purchase of a new Chevy colorado diesel and a new rpod 179. My wife and I liked the layout of the 179 and were excited to get out on the road. During the checkout process we noticed a crack in the bathroom floor. Our checkout person at the rv dealer noted the crack and suggested we bring it in this winter so Forest River can replace the floor. I was somewhat concerned at this point that there may be more hidden problems. I took trailer on several summer camping trips and on a 1 month 5,0000 mile journey through the southwest. To date these are these issues I have found
1) The electrical box at the entryway blew out of mounting screws on one side and was hanging out on the floor. The rv dealer rescrewed box with oversized wood screws. This lasted for 2 weeks and came out again on long trip. When I looked at opening for box to mount in I discovered that the factory had made the opening too large and they scabbed in a trim piece to close up the opening. Alas the mounting screws will not hold in the trim piece and pulled out. Poor workmanship here.
2) Cabinet drawer will not close without pulling up to engage latch. This was not noticed during checkout so I am wondering if things settled.
3) The metal support members that span beneath floor and support the three holding tanks are not securely bolted to frame. Three of top bolts pulled loose and I can not tighten since they appear to be stripped.
4) The lock on the underfloor storage cabinet is very difficult to operate with key. I quit locking as I was afraid I would break key in lock
5) After towing through a rainstorm in Oregon I noticed water had soaked the fabric where seat rests on floor next to refrigerator. I am concerned about water leak. Sprayed hose on that side of rpod and could not re create leak.

On the plus side all appliances/ plumbing work great! Love the floor plan. Will take unit in to dealer for repair.

Also does anybody know why antifreeze is required in plumbing if all water is drained out of rpod when winterizing??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12