Topic ClosedTank Dumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Dumping
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:44am
We get our 179 in April and I am busy browsing for information.
There is general agreement that tanks should be dumped when the black is about 2/3 full.
There does not seem to be any consensus as to when to dump, as you are leaving or arriving at a camp ground.
Cleaning articles always seem to favour dumping after a drive when everything is well shaken (not stirred).
Seems to me, as long as travelling with the extra weight is not an issue that dumping on arrival should result in a more thorough job plus less chance of a line up at the dump station.
I would greatly appreciate your views, we will be using the pod for significant trips of a month or more with single location stays of not more than 2 or 3 days.
Embarrassed
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 1:46pm
If possible, I dump at home. I purchased sufficient hose to reach to the sewer clean-out that is in the yard. Since this is where flushed toilets from the house flow, I figure it is the best place to dump since I can do so after a drive and when the tank is full or I can add water through the BW flush valve. The TankTechs Rx treatment that I use suggests to leave the black water in with the treatment until it is full since the bacteria work best when there is something on which they can work. In your case, you may need to dump while on the road. In that case, dump when it is convenient as long as you have sufficient content in the tank to help move any solids out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 1:50pm
I sorta do the same thing. The storage facility where we keep our 179 has a dump station, so we wait to dump the tank there on the way in.
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:28pm
Since we're on a septic tank with no clean out we dump each time we're leaving the campground.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:29pm
I dump when I leave campground, easy to fill tank to 2/3rds with backflush. I don't want to haul 300 lbs. of black water around.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:57am
The reason I wait is that if we dumped when we left the campground, we would still be using it on the return trip to home. I would need to dump the tank again when we got home before we stored it anyway. The last time we dumped after travel with the TankTechs Rx treatment, I did not see any solids as the tank was draining. Everything appeared to be dissolved. I'm quite happy with the biological treatment approach.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:38am
Thank you for your advice, as before no clear consensus.
I will look for some tanktechs and then just dump when at the 2/3 full point.
We are on a septic so home dump is not an option and going long distance with a mostly tank does not sound like fun either.
I keep learning from you folks.
Susan and Norm
2018 RP179
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
I think it is a matter of preference.  We tend to dump when we leave the campground.  The visitor center in our home town has a dump station so, if we use the use the Pod on the way home, we can dump there.  
Enjoy Life!!
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by NAP1947

We get our 179 in April and I am busy browsing for information.
There is general agreement that tanks should be dumped when the black is about 2/3 full.
There does not seem to be any consensus as to when to dump, as you are leaving or arriving at a camp ground.
Cleaning articles always seem to favour dumping after a drive when everything is well shaken (not stirred).
Seems to me, as long as travelling with the extra weight is not an issue that dumping on arrival should result in a more thorough job plus less chance of a line up at the dump station.
I would greatly appreciate your views, we will be using the pod for significant trips of a month or more with single location stays of not more than 2 or 3 days.
Embarrassed

I always dump when leaving the camp site. You RPod 179 has a black water flush built in the tank. The water connection will be on the opposite side from your black water dump connection. I hook a water hose (just for the black water flush) up to the connection. Turn the water on. There is a spray nozzle in the tank. You can hear it spraying. I open the black water tank vale to start the dumping process with the water running. When the black water tank is about empty (trickle) I close the valve. Let the water run in the tank for a few minutes then open the black water valve flushing out more stuff. I do this until I get zero paper and clear water flowing. Takes more time but less problems.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Rawest50, what you say makes sense, I had not thought of using the black tank flush in that manner.
So much to learn, this forum is great.
Susan and Norm
2018 RP179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>