Topic ClosedTank Dumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Dumping
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
Good suggestions here, I also use a biological treatement, don't recall the brand but has always been effective. We are newbies so have only camped within 1.25hrs from home, no extended trips. No matter how or when you dump, do it effectively. I have a small TV so dump after camping. I believe the posts here that say dump a nearly full tank. On quick weekends I fill my water can and add as much water to the tank as possible. I use a plug or toilet brush to hold the toilet flush open and try to move as much of the fresh water to the black tank as possible. Last trip of the season 3 weeks ago I double dosed the treatment, and got the black nearly full. We picked a slow time at the dump station and dumped and flushed for about 30mins.  You'll never get it completely empty as I don't believe the tanks slant enough towards the drain. When I winterized last weekend, I drained the tank into a disposable bucket and carried about 3 gals of slightly murky, barely smelly water into the basement toilet, it smelled more like the tank treatment. Conclusion is that the tank was better than sufficiently flushed. Tanks treatments are important and a nearly full tank will "float" material out better than a slightly full tank.

Another note, dumped about 3 gals from the grey tank that stunk to high heaven. For all my research and prep, I failed to realize the grey tank needs treatment too. I'll flush it good come opening day and use a proper treatment.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:31am
That is why in NC the gray water tank is treated as if it were the same as the black water tank and cannot be dumped on the ground. Disease causing bacteria can and do breed in the gray water tank and the tank can get rather stinky if not treated. Gray water that is not collected in a holding tank can be used as specified below.

SECTION 14.(a) For purposes of this section, "gray water" means wastewater removed from household wash basins, bathtubs, and showers.

SECTION 14.(b) The Commission for Health Services shall adopt rules to authorize the use of gray water during periods of drought to hand water trees, shrubs, and inedible plants on single-family residential property. The rules shall encourage the use of gray water as provided in this section while protecting public health, safety, welfare, and the environment. In developing the rules, the Commission shall review the provisions set out in subsection (c) of this section.

SECTION 14.(c) Notwithstanding G.S. 130A-335(a), untreated gray water may be used in periods of drought to hand water trees, shrubs, and inedible plants on single-family residential property under the following conditions:
  1. Gray water shall be applied as soon as practicable. Untreated gray water should not be stored for later use.
  2. Gray water containing hazardous chemicals including, but not limited to, residue from solvents shall not be used.
  3. Use of untreated gray water is restricted to the residential property where the gray water originates. Untreated gray water shall not be allowed to run off onto adjoining property, roadways, or into drainage features such as ditches and storm drains.
  4. Untreated gray water shall be applied using buckets, watering cans, or other handheld containers. Gray water may not be used in an irrigation system unless the gray water has been treated in accordance with standards set out in the State Plumbing Code.
  5. Gray water shall not be applied closer than 100 feet to surface waters or a water supply well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:49pm
+1 to SH and NC, there's a reason all waste water in a house goes to a common point. It's all waste water. It is the same as black inre to contaminated.

Question to dr2428 - you don't mention your backflush at all, I use my backflush to add water to black tank, gray tank is different but it doesn't have toilet paper in it. Have used bucket with treatment to add to gray tank, but normally just fill with water pump or city water.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:55pm
I’m really glad I read this thread. I didn’t know I had a black water flush. I only looked around on the side with the valves and didn’t think to look on the opposite side!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:22pm
That's a reason why I moved mine to location near black water flush, why put it on opposite side.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:28pm
Was camping last week and weekend in our larger trailer.  It was cold.  We didn't have any problems with fresh water freezing (enclosed underbelly and heated hose).  As we were leaving I found the black tank's drain valve frozen.  The two grey tank valves were not.  Emptied one grey tank.  So we're going back camping in a couple of weeks.  Will have to dump as we arrive.  The alternatives are to use our portable tank but then we have no where to dump it or drag the trailer somewhere that allows dumping.  Might as well wait for the next trip.

On a side note we wash dishes in a pan that fits in the sink.  On each trip we dump one pan of dishwater, with Dawn into the toilet to keep the black tank cleaner.  So far in two years of doing this no problems or odors.
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:35am
Mcarter, I agree locating the flush on the opposit side from the drain dos not seem to make sense, maybe there is some legal reason or other such thing.
That aside was it an easy job to move it, could you describe how you did it?
Thanks
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:36pm
NAP1947,

First let me say my backflush installed on trailer did NOT work. The check valve was installed backwards and it is in the wall behind bathroom sink. Adding a backflush to drivers side is easy, you need a length of hose, a check valve and a standard hose nipple. You can make a bracket or buy one of the kits that has a bracket (CAMCO 40123) with it to mount the hose nipple. Simply remove your existing hose connection at the black tank, attach your procured hose run it to bracket and hose nipple mounted on drivers side, put a check valve in the line and your done. I added some mounting hardware to trailer floor to secure hose against floor, works fine and it is mounted right next to black drain.
Mike Carter
2015 178
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
If you are quiet enough you can here the spray.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:40pm
Yep, mine works fine and I'm not working on both sides of the trailer.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>