R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTongue Storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tongue Storage
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:35am
Our 179 is in storage and not accessible until April and I am planning our initial check list and setup.
We are going to have 2-6 volt golf cart batteries and a storage box for both seems to be very expensive.
I have been browsing ideas for this and found a few cases where folks have purchased or made cases that hold the 2 batteries, cutoff switch, battery charger and some limited extra storage in a vented case behind the propane tank.
I already have a weather proof box that is 20" deep, 18" high and about 36" wide with a lockable lid.
My question that I have not been able to find an answer to is how much room I actually have between the propane tank cover and the front wall of the 179 measured 18" from the top of the tongue frame.
Is anyone able to take a quick measure and see whether there is close to enough space?
ThanksBig smile
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:50am
My 179 has @ 12 to 14 inches between the gas tank and the front of the trailer, depending on the height of the measurement.
You might be able to get it on the frame rail adjacent to the gas tank, would need to tie it down or stabilize it somehow.  
JIM
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 12:24pm
Plastic GC2 battery boxes can be had for around $10 each at Batteries+Bulbs. We have two and they do fit in the battery tray.
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:40am
Thank you both, I plan to get the batteries from batteries plus bulbs so will look at their boxes as well.

Susan and Norm
2018 RP179
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
Ok if 14” is close, it appears that the tank can be moved forward about 6”, so tha5 would make my box fit.
Really getting anxious already and 5 months to go before we get it to play with.
Susan and Norm
2018 RP179
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:34am
wondering why you would go with 2 -6 volt batteries when you could install 2 - 12 volts ( for the same weight) and have more power. I bought a Perko switch which is planned to shut off both batteries, or select number 1 or number 2 for charging (switching over on a stop while travelling) I can then switch between batteries for trailer power. As you may know, if there is an imbalance between batteries, one can suck the other down and it seems your 2 - 6 volts would have to be in series to power your Pod.

Marwayne and I have both built large storage units on our Pods and that may be worth your looking at.
Cheers, 
ilthyn
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by ilthyn

wondering why you would go with 2 -6 volt batteries when you could install 2 - 12 volts ( for the same weight) and have more power. I bought a Perko switch which is planned to shut off both batteries, or select number 1 or number 2 for charging (switching over on a stop while travelling) I can then switch between batteries for trailer power. As you may know, if there is an imbalance between batteries, one can suck the other down and it seems your 2 - 6 volts would have to be in series to power your Pod.

Marwayne and I have both built large storage units on our Pods and that may be worth your looking at.
Cheers, 
ilthyn
6-volt golf cart (AKA "GC") batteries are larger than the 12 volt batteries because they are taller. Battery power is all about how much lead is in them, and you can pretty much draw a straight line between weight and power storage in a battery.

And lead acid batteries is all about how many cells are in use. A 6-volt battery has 3 cells. Two of them gives you 6 cells or approximately 12 volts.

A single 12-volt battery already has 6 cells, so it's 12 volts. If you are going to up the capacity, you need to run them in parallel.

A simple way to compare batteries is to calculate how many watt-hours one holds. Just multiply the amp-hour rating by the voltage, and you get watt-hours.

So a 6-volt battery rated at 200 amp-hours actually holds 1200 watt-hours of energy. It would be roughly equivalent to a 12-volt battery rated at 100 amp-hours.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 4:26pm
Thanks, GlueGuy
I am sure you have some good points. There is a lot of information about this subject which NAP1947 should study before deciding his course of action. I still stand by my comment that 2 - 6 volt batteries in series must be of equal capability ( same age) because if one declines, there is no more 12 volts available and you would probably have to replace the faulty one with two batteries. There is no real need to hook two 12 batteries together in parallel if a battery switch is utilized. If the battery is not a deep cycle one, it should not be run down regularly below 50% (according to some sources). Also, with them in parallel and they have been severely depleted, the initial charge amperage starting the vehicle may blow the alternator protection on the line to the batteries. The result of this would be no battery power at destination since there would be no indication that this had happened. (I have had this occur.) I also do not know what the cost effectiveness is here.  
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:06pm
I appreciate this discussion and did a lot of research, as we both need CPAP units, including discussing the issue with ResMed who made our units.  They recommended 2 Specific Duracell 6 volt golf cart batteries (sorry I do not have the model number handy at this time).
Their reason was that those 2 units will operate our CPAPs longer than 2-12 volt batteries with less chance of dropping the batteries below 50% capacity, the units are voltage and current sensitive.
I am no electrical engineer but figure these folks know what they are talking about as they have to support their units.
Still appreciate the discussion, suggestions and all.
Susan and Norm
2018 RP179
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm
Good.
Would appreciate an update as you utilize this system.
Bon chance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>