Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod Cover - Event Date: 13 Nov 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RPod Cover
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:37pm
We’ve only had our Rpod a few months, and want to make sure we store it properly. We’ve heard about moisture problems with any trailer, and want to avoid that. We did buy a cover that is made for our trailer. We have a 2018 RP179. It states it’s a breathable cover. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Lin and Joel
Lin & Joel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
Sounds like you got the correct cover. If it is the one from Classic Accessories, it is probably the same as the one I have. The key thing is to make sure any sharp edges (antenna, keder rail, rain gutter ends, etc. are covered with something so they can't snag the cover and tear it. I use a cut-up pool noodle to pad the batwing antenna and rain gutter ends. Since we had ours repaired and now have the awning instead of the keder rail, I don't have to worry about the ends of those.

As for putting it on, there are several different methods. One is to roll it into a long sausage shape and using a ladder, carry it to the top of the R-Pod and unroll it from there. Another is to lay it out on the ground in front of your R-Pod upside down with the front of the cover toward the hitch and the rest stretched forward from there. Then with a person on each side and sufficiently long poles, lift the back end of the cover and walk it over the top of the R-Pod. When you do this, it will keep the side facing the roof of the 'Pod clean. After you do this a couple of times, you will figure out which way works best for you. You may find a way that works better than either of these two methods.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Linjoelsmith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:53pm
Thanks for the information. We just bought some damp- rid moisture absorbing containers to help with moisture that might accumulate and cause mold. Have you heard of that problem? Hopefully everything will be ok.

Thanks again, Lin and Joel
Lin & Joel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm
We keep a couple of our side windows as well as our roof vent open about 1/2" during the winter to avoid any moisture issue.  The pod is stored in our horse barn so the possibility of outside elements is a non issue.  We do put in a couple dryer sheets on the floor during the pods 'hibernation' period.  This supposedly keeps little critters, like mice, away.  Having an outside cat helps but after 6 years in the barn (and there are plenty of mice around) we have never had any problems.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:16pm
I've used the Damp-Rid containers in our 179. If it is shut up tight, then the damp rid will help keep moisture down. I have also put the cover on but left the vent open because I have a cover on the vent that will protect the lid and keep any rain that might penetrate the top out. In addition, I have left the door window (which I installed) open a little to further assist in air circulation. I have not had any mold problems.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Linjoelsmith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 12:27pm
Thanks for all your information.  

Lin and Joel
Lin & Joel
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:39pm
I had not heard of Damp-Rid. Arkansas has it share of mildew and mold due to the moisture from the Gulf.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:47pm
Damp-Rid is essentially calcium chloride in various containers. The one that is best suited for the R-Pod is the one in the bucket. When the lid is removed, there is an inner lid that is not removed. The moisture is absorbed, dissolving the calcium chloride in the process. Eventually, a level builds up that can be seen through the side of the bucket. When it reaches up to the maximum level, the lid goes back on and the bucket gets replaced with a new one. Advantages are that it takes no energy to use and, if one looks at it occasionally to make sure it is not past the full point, does not make a mess. Disadvantage is that there is no way to know short of looking if it needs to be replaced. Also, it is disposable and not refillable. It is relatively inexpensive compared to an electrically operated dehumidifier which would also need to be checked and emptied periodically.

Here is a link to DampRid's web site. The 4-lb bucket is the one I think is best suited for the R-Pod when it is being stored, especially if it is buttoned up.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply