R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdded a window in the 180 bathroom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added a window in the 180 bathroom
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:33pm

This one has been bugging me for awhile. No fan in the bathroom means it turns into a rainforest on cold nights. We run the fan in the main cabin but there is really not much draw out of the bathroom. Big thanks to Rick (oldsurfer) for stopping by to help!
Started out with a 24"x 30" frame-less window I bought on Ebay for $44. It came with inside trim and a screen. and was made for a 1 x 1/2 wall thickness. (Was quoted $400 from 2 RV window co's).
I cut the frame, screen and trim ring down to 24"x 8 3/4"" This size was so it would fit between the horizontal wood braces that go across the back, and also small enough so the curve would not be an issue. 
And then ordered a piece of smoked,tempered glass to fit the new window size from my local glass shop for $48, I had to break the old window to get the hinge and roller slide bracket off, and then I used windshield mastic to apply them to the new window.
I removed the trim piece that goes between the ceiling and back wall, and pulled the wall panel back a little to see how much room there was between the horizontal braces and make sure there were no wires. I then made a template that matched the window cut out size and cut the inside with a utility knife. I then transferred the template to the outside by drilling holes to line the same template up. 
Here I forgot take a picture of the outside work, but I made the cutout with a 4" angle grinder with a tile blade on it. And turns out I had to shave a portion of each brace to get the window to slide in. I added a brace under the lower piece to make up for this, (window should have been 8" tall). And seeing that the fiberglass was just floating off the horizontal braces I added glue in the gap before we put the window in.
 We put a heavy bead of silicone on the window flange and put it in place and Rick pinched  the window frame and trim ring together while I snugged it up by putting 18 screws through the trim ring into the window frame. This pinched up the window real tight to the inside and outside walls and we got good silicone squeeze out from under the window flange all the way around. 
It took about 2 hours to install with much pre planning, and prep work. And I think it worked out well, and should let in a little light and give a good air draw to get rid of moisture in the bathroom.

Life is good, John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:37pm
Really nice work!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:03pm
+1 - nice job.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:53pm
Looks good. Good job on shoring up any cut framing. Looking forward to some long term reports..
 Post Reply Post Reply