R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwinterizing 178 blue model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: winterizing 178 blue model
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:01pm
Was, especially if you don't air blow first.  By rv fluid only, apparently because of that check valve the water in the inlet line stays put unless you push in the check valve button releasing the water out until you get pink.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:32pm
The past two years, I used a combination of air and RV antifreeze. This year, I decided on a different approach. I drained the fresh water tank and the hot water heater. I also removed the low-point drain caps and opened all the faucets so that any water in the lines could drain. Then I put the caps back on.

I used the winterizing valve and hose to draw from a gallon jug and pumped it through the system. I started with the bathroom faucet, turning on cold, then hot until I got pink. Then I moved on to the kitchen and followed that by going to the outside shower and opening cold and hot there also until I saw pink. The toilet got the same treatment.

After pouring some of the RV antifreeze in the drains, I saw how much was left this time. I had about 1/2 to 1/3 gallon of RV antifreeze left. Usually when I have done the air first, I have barely had enough. This time I had left over and still saw a good flow of pink at each faucet. I think I have found the method I will stick with.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:39pm
Sounds like  good system!! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
thanks for your full response.  the math in your equation suggests that not air compressing causes the fluid volume to be filled with less pink, therefore more water.  I've read where a mix of water and pink can cause problems due to the areas where dilution of the water hasn't sufficiently occurred.  If you are trying this for the first time, then only the spring will tell if this is the method you will want to stick with.  Probably is, just that water in there bothers me.  Had to winterize my mtn cabin today also.  Same thing, blow out the lines, fill with pink.  There is definitely a volume of water that is left over after simply draining.

Anyone on whether this is a concern?
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 6:54am
StephenH is located in North Carolina where the winters are not as severe as where I am in northern Michigan.  The jury will be out until next spring when he can let us know how it all pans out.  I am with you zappa in that I don't want any water in my lines when I winterize.  Yesterday morning was 15 and it is not uncommon to hit the -20 degree range or more when winter hits in mid January.  I doubt it gets anywhere near that in North Carolina during the winter, so if it works for him there - great!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by jato

StephenH is located in North Carolina where the winters are not as severe as where I am in northern Michigan.  The jury will be out until next spring when he can let us know how it all pans out.  I am with you zappa in that I don't want any water in my lines when I winterize.  Yesterday morning was 15 and it is not uncommon to hit the -20 degree range or more when winter hits in mid January.  I doubt it gets anywhere near that in North Carolina during the winter, so if it works for him there - great!

Jim, If the winter temperatures start hitting 20 below in the Tar Heel state then I'm moving to Florida or better South America! Burrrrr! The coldest weather I ever experienced in NC was once with the wind chill factor somewhere near -60 below and that was on top of one of the highest mountains in NC, Mnt. Pisgah. Where I long ago maintained and operated television and radio station transmitters. Not someplace you'd ever could get a camping trailer at to park needless to say. If it gets down to the 20's here in central or eastern NC for a night or two were thinking were freezing to death! LOL
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
You are one brave soul Dave to work on those towers, those guys are TALL !  On the other side of the temperature gauge you could go to Guyana, South America.  The last couple of times I've been there (December and January) it is not uncommon for the temps to go above 120 in the shade.  How much above I don't know because that was as high as the gauge would read.  Pretty tough working in those conditions, need to drink water every 15-20 minutes to avoid de-hydration.  Bringing this back to the topic my point is that StephenH is probably very safe in his location even with some water in his lines.  Even where you are in Lexington, temps probably don't get below 10 or 15 degrees do they?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by jato

Bringing this back to the topic my point is that StephenH is probably very safe in his location even with some water in his lines.  Even where you are in Lexington, temps probably don't get below 10 or 15 degrees do they?

We may get a week total where the temps drop to around 15 degrees or below at night and may a day or two the high is around of 15 to 25. The last couple winters the only snow we received is a dusting. It's even milder as you go east as where StephenH lives in the state. Though believe it or not they have more snow to the east since there is more moisture coming off the ocean that runs into cold air. The only place in NC where you do have anywhere near constant cold temps through any significant part of winter is the mountains and then its only the upper elevations. When I lived in the mountains there would be many days it would be snowing at my house at the top and raining in the valley below.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
Wake County falls in the eastern Piedmont region of NC (as opposed to the Coastal Plain or the Mountain regions. Our average January temperature is 28.93. I believe it has hit the teens, but most often, it gets into the 20's and is generally above freezing during the day. We have gone for a few days where the temperatures stayed sub-freezing. We are only a little over 300 ft in elevation.
I don't recall there being much more water in the lines after draining them through the low point drains with the faucet valves open than there was when I used air to blow the water out. I don't think I need to worry about freezing water lines, even if the antifreeze was a little diluted. I did let it run until I saw a good flow of pink, so I don't think it is diluted. The RV antifreeze I used stated it was good to -75F. We did travel out west when the weather was in the low single digits. We did not have any problems, but that was a time where I used air plus antifreeze.
We do get snow occasionally. What is bad is that we usually also get ice to go with it. Because it usually does not stay below freezing, it will melt, especially if it is a place where the sun will hit it. Shaded spots can be a problem as the snow and ice can stick around for several days.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:57pm
sounds like you're all good.  I'm in Fredericksburg VA, weather is fickle, just last night it was down in the lower twenties.  You never know around here.  Since it is easy to do the air, I'll probably do it again next year followed by the pink.  All good.  Thanks to all for their lengthy comments and observations.  jim
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12