R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommendation for family of 4 (maybe 5!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for family of 4 (maybe 5!)
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:11pm
Hi,
My husband and I are very keen on buying an R Pod and are looking for recommendations for which models are best suited for a family with two kids (with a potential for a third)! I looked through the floor plans and really like the look of the 179. I would love a model with a bed as well as bunks (for the kiddos) but I don't know if that exists?! Anyways, any advice or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:32pm
We have a 172 for just the two of us and it's pretty tight (in spite of removing the upper bunk).  Get the biggest one your budget and TV can handle, and hope it doesn't rain a lot where you camp.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Welcome to the group! We have a 179, the queen size bed is comfortable, but the couch turning into an extra bed is not really comfortable. You would definitely want to go to a dealership and set it up and try it out before purchasing one. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Hour Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:40pm
I think there are 4 models with bunks - but only the 176t has bunks + 2 more bed options to accomadate a family of 5.
Love'N Hour Pod
2017 Sierra Crew & 2017 182G
JJ, Erin, Alexa & Jace
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:49am
I love pods.. BUT. a family of 5, in any Pod floor plan, is going to be.. iffy. 179 probably isn't "it" for you. The dinette "sleeping" is pretty much hated by everyone who tries it.

172 and 176, and their "T" versions, all have bunks. The 176T is going to get you the most "indoor" space, and I would for sure get the Dome and not the awning. One wet, trapped in the Pod weekend.. and we may be reading about you in the newspapers.. LOL the extra room, and it really is a room, of the dome, can be priceless in bad weather.

You might look at one of the Surveyor bunkhouse models.. built in the same factory, by the same people.. A popular "move up" for Podders..
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:42am
I would agree with furpod. R-pods are great for a couple, with the occasional (not full time) guests. But they are narrow (about 6-1/2' wide) and the longest is 20'. That is pretty tight, and if you are traveling with 5 people full time, I think you need a little more space.

If you have a pickup for a TV, then you might consider any of several fifth wheel trailers that put the "master bedroom" up in the overhang, and still leave plenty of space for another bed or two. There are some fifth wheels that are still fairly compact, and could be towed comfortably with a full size half ton pickup. If you get too big, you will need to look at 3/4 ton, or 1 ton pickups.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TClarke83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:45am
Thanks! Maybe it is unrealistic to squish us all in, to be honest we haven't toured the interior of one yet. We have camped in a tent with the kids before, so we were thinking it would be somewhere warm/dry to sleep and boil water for coffee in the AM. We would plan on cooking outside unless the weather was terrible. Will look at other suggestions too!!
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Leo B

Welcome to the group! We have a 179, the queen size bed is comfortable, but the couch turning into an extra bed is not really comfortable. You would definitely want to go to a dealership and set it up and try it out before purchasing one. 

Agree on the bedding and dinette bed.

At times our daughter goes with us. That makes three adults. For me the 179 is great for two but when adding a 3rd and in your case 2 kids it gets tight. We do not take our table anymore and she sleeps on the sofa with a 3" foam on top. She does not toss and turn so it works okay for her.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by TClarke83

Thanks! Maybe it is unrealistic to squish us all in, to be honest we haven't toured the interior of one yet. We have camped in a tent with the kids before, so we were thinking it would be somewhere warm/dry to sleep and boil water for coffee in the AM. We would plan on cooking outside unless the weather was terrible. Will look at other suggestions too!!

Here's a video about a family of four in their RPod 179, hope it helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrIHt1JvJo

Maybe a tent and trailer combo? I grew up tent camping from two years old and can vouch for it since it's now 63 years later and I still love it.. Your RPod could be your (you the parents') room depending on how old your kids are (meaning, if they're old enough to be alone in the tent), as well as a warm kitchen as you mention. Do be aware that not all RV parks allow tents to be put up. 

We love our 179 and the main mods we're going to make is to change out the multiple cushions on the dinette for a jack-knife mattress or similar and remove the ottoman closest to the bed. Others here have done and suggested these and we agree they'll be good for us to do. Have fun looking and hope you'll let us know what you decide! 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:32pm
Seems to me that the only r-Pod model that would comfortably accommodate 5 would be the 176T with the fold out tent expansion for another bed.  If you're already accustomed to tent camping, then the fold out tent shouldn't be an issue.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>