FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2018 Pacific NW Roundup - Aug. 23-26, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Pacific NW Roundup - Aug. 23-26, 2018
    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by seafans

We still are going to bring our kayaks.  Fromm Wheeler up the river small boat are OK.  From Wheeler toward the ocean I would strongly suggest your 17.5 ft.  We have Seawards also build in Canada. 17' and 18'.  See you there.   I will check on the tides/currents and weather closer to the arrival date.

Please let me know what you find out about tides and best time to travel up river. This looks like it will be fun. I’ll probably drive to Wheeler and put out from there. Can’t wait for the meetup! My wife made a decal on the Vista Print website for the trip.

“2018 RPOD Rally
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Or Bust!!!!”
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:24pm

Nehalem, n. Fork Tides for kayaking the weekend of the 2018 Pacific NW Roundup - Aug. 23-26, 2018:

Aug. 23 Low Tide = 6:47AM @ +.12’

High Tide = 12:46 PM @ 5.52’

Moon Rise = 6:56 PM

Moon Sets = 3.35 AM

Sun Rise = 6:25 AM

Sun Sets = 8:09 PM

Aug. 24 Low Tide = 7:23 AM @ + 0’

High Tide = 1:28 PM @ 5.81’

Moon Rise = 7:32 PM

Moon Sets = 4:31 AM

Sun Rise = 6:26 AM

Sun Sets = 8:07 PM

Aug. 25 Low Tide = 7:57 AM @ +.06’

High Tide = 1:47 PM @ 5.99’

Moon Rise = 8:03 PM

Moon Sets = 5:30 AM

Sun Rise = 6:28 AM

Sun Sets = 8:06 PM

Aug. 26 Low Tide = 7:57 AM @ +.06’

High Tide = 1:47 PM @ 6.15’

Moon Rise = 8:31 PM

Moon Sets = 6:31 AM

Sun Rise = 6:29 AM

Sun Sets = 8:04 PM

Full Moon @ 4:58 AM

seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:28pm
Looks like the best times to leave Wheeler dock is about 8:00 to 9:00 AM.  Depends how much paddling,swimming, sightseeing and wildlife viewing you want to do.
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:33pm

Looks like the best times to leave Wheeler dock is about 8:00 to 9:00 AM.  Depends how much paddling,swimming, sightseeing and wildlife viewing you want to do.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I really want to check out this river.

When does the tide turn? (If you go up the river with the incoming tide, when might the outgoing bring you back?)

I've only kayaked before on mountain lakes. This will be a whole new experience.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

When does the tide turn? (If you go up the river with the incoming tide, when might the outgoing bring you back?)

I've only kayaked before on mountain lakes. This will be a whole new experience.

Looks like the river is still pretty big at Wheeler. If I wanted to drive further inland and follow the river to find another place to launch from (where the river might be a bit smaller) is there a place I could park my truck? Like a parking area or a city park or something? Looking at the overhead Google Maps photos it looks like the river goes though mostly residential areas.

Thanks,

ONT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:53pm

Looks like the river is still pretty big at Wheeler. If I wanted to drive further inland and follow the river to find another place to launch from (where the river might be a bit smaller) is there a place I could park my truck? Like a parking area or a city park or something? Looking at the overhead Google Maps photos it looks like the river goes though mostly residential areas.

Thanks,

ONT

Looks like Waterfront Park at Wheeler is really the only good place to launch from. Is it safe for kayaks with the power boat river traffic? Concerned about wakes. I have four dachshunds that ride in the kayak with us. Two are adventuresome and ride up on the bow but the other two don't like water and huddle below the gunwales! (They all have doggie life vests.)
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:49pm
The river at Wheeler is not very wide,mostly marsh land.  I've paddled the river a couple of times and around the first bend it slows and only meanders thru the trees and narrows about 2-3 river miles from Wheeler. There are some summer house boats on the river,but I don't recall very many. The weather looks calm, it might be cloudy and cool (60-65) at wheeler and around the first bend might warm to 75-80 later in the morn.  As for the turn of the tide the high tide is measured at Wheeler and this is when the tide turns or ebbs back out to sea.  If some one would like to go out into the bay, down stream from wheeler would suggest launching at lowest tide in the AM and let the current take you back to Wheeler.  I have not been in the bay.  If someone is interested in doing the bay I have several friends that might come down for the bay trip.  Only thinking on the safe side.  I will ask some friends about the bay
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:58pm
This is some thing I found on the local site:
The trip: Two hours before high tide, launch on the incoming tide at Wheeler. Paddle upstream on the right, exploring Botts Marsh, cross the river and explore the slough on the left.  Continue upstream beneath the U.S. 101 bridge, landing at the public dock in Nehalem for lunch.  As the tide turns, follow the river downstream on the ebb tide and cross the river to Wheeler Marina.  Depending on the tide height, witch is little high due to the moon we might be able to go further than the bridge.  This suggestion is based on renting boats and going with a guide.  We can go further.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:03pm
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old Surfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:05pm
OLDNEUMANNTAPR. Do you live in Santa Maria?
Rick and Melanie
2008 Tundra CrewMax 4-Wheel Drive
2015 R-179
Surfer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>