R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed182G Questions (Useful? Towing? Alternatives?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 182G Questions (Useful? Towing? Alternatives?)
    Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:51am

My wife and I really like the rear garage component of the 182G model:

My question is: who has one of these, and what tow vehicle are you using with them? Would a 3,500lb. towing capacity tow vehicle be insufficient? Calculating towing limits is frustratingly complex - both on the trailer side and vehicle side. There's so little real world info on "if I buy X can it tow Y" out there.

Also, is the rear garage as useful and convenient as it appears? Are you happy with the build quality and added value of it?

Are there any other manufacturers building any comparable ultralight trailers with a similar rear garage?

Thanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
We don't have that model, so I can't comment on the garage part of it. However, I would say that a vehicle rated for 3,500 lbs would barely be adeqate. More likely you want to take the maximum your trailer weighs (~~ 3800 lbs), and multiply by 1.3 to find the minimum rating for your tow vehicle. That would be a tow vehicle at "around" 5000 lbs.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Zampa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

That would be a tow vehicle at "around" 5000 lbs.

Ugh, I was afraid of that. Now that puts me in a tough pricing range of around $50-60k where regular vehicles compete with luxury vehicles.

I don't want to pay +$50k for a Honda Pilot if a BMW X5 is only a few thousand more, ya know? Trying to find that perfect combo of quality interior, towing capacity, and gas mileage is tough.

Hybrids are even more difficult, as they often reduce the towing capacity just by virtue of being a hybrid.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:33pm
Glue Guy advice is +1 IMHO.

My tow vehicle is rated at 6400 lbs but there is no way I'd tow anywhere near that. So when shopping for a camping trailer we only look at trailers at or less then the maximum tow rating for the vehicle.

You can spend $50K or even $100K or more on a new tow vehicle or you can spend well under $20K on a good used tow vehicle like a Ford F150 two wheel drive. It all depends on what you really want and need, to each their own!

Good Luck!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:53pm
We have a 2015 182 G and it does add lots of space for storage as well as using it for grilling out.  The trouble I have found with ours is that sometime it has leaked from above and has bubbled a few inches of inner lining/wallpaper.  (Getting repaired this spring, not sure of how much damage) It is handy for carrying fishing poles, the grill and other things as well.  I would never pull it with something that only has 3500# towing capacity.  Our Pod weighs 3200# fully loaded ( no water, 1 propane tank and 1 battery). We pull it with a Pilot which has a towing capacity of 4500# and I only do that on fairly level non-mountainous terrain.  With the WDH and sway control, it travels pretty well.  We needed a bigger dining area and bunks, so the 182 was just our preference.
FROGGY
Zampa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:29pm
My current top-pick vehicle to tow this thing is a 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T v6 (rated at 7,770 lbs. towing capacity) for ~$55k. Neither I or my wife are "truck people", so we're sticking to SUVs. 

The Dodge Durango v8 (7,400 lbs. tow capacity) is ~$48K similarly equipped (but has a lot cheaper quality cabin materials/design). About the same price for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Range Rover is WAY too expensive. Would be $65k+ to start. Toyota Land Cruiser is $85k. Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator are $74k. GMC Yukon is ugly, and $50k+.

The Nissan Armada ($45k, 8,500 lbs.) would potentially work, but I'm not a fan of Nissan/Infiniti. Chevy Suburban and Tahone are both close in price, but so huge...
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
There are allot of folks here that tow with SUV's, lots of choices new or used. I would be looking for a vehicle that has one of the maximum rated towing to make your life easy.  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Zampa

Neither I or my wife are "truck people", so we're sticking to SUVs.  
Too bad. A V6 Tacoma with a 6500 lb rating would set you back right around $30K. My partner's Tacoma has a shell on it, so it "looks" like an SUV (but we like it better).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
RobnCari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Zampa

Originally posted by GlueGuy

That would be a tow vehicle at "around" 5000 lbs.

Ugh, I was afraid of that. Now that puts me in a tough pricing range of around $50-60k where regular vehicles compete with luxury vehicles.
I don't want to pay +$50k for a Honda Pilot if a BMW X5 is only a few thousand more, ya know? Trying to find that perfect combo of quality interior, towing capacity, and gas mileage is tough.
Hybrids are even more difficult, as they often reduce the towing capacity just by virtue of being a hybrid.

Why does your TV have to be brand new? Let some one else pay the depreciation. There are alot of TV out there that are far below $50-$60K. But if you're going to limit yourself to a Brand new SUV then don't complain about the price! JMO
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:47pm
+1 - you don't need a brand new tow vehicle. You need a capable tow vehicle. You can get a tow vehicle for less than 15K. If brand new is your choice, so be it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>