R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew steps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New steps
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
I have a 17 rpod 180
Absolutely love it but the steps make it difficult to get in and out of. The 18 model now comes with a 2 step instead of a single step. Can they be purchased and switched out?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 7:34pm
I did that on my 2016 RP179. You can see it in my mods (link in signature). I had ot modify the new steps by notching out the sides so it would sit far enough back. It make a big difference for us.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm
There are two main step models that will work. One is made by Lippert and the other by Stromberg-Carlson under the Flexco brand. We've had both on our 2016 179 (14" wheels, no risers) and I've been much more impressed with the Lippert.

The Flexco has long slots on the sides for the step slide that leave very little metal for structural support. We managed to bend them at the weak spot. Also, the lower step was too close to the ground to be of much use.

The Lippert has solid sides and the steps are at a better height.

With either one, you'll need to make modifications to the rear holes and add some spacing washers.

My wife has a bad knee and has no problem on the Lippert steps. She struggled a little more with the Flexco, but not too badly. The factory step was far too much of a step up into the camper.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by TheBum

There are two main step models that will work. One is made by Lippert and the other by Stromberg-Carlson under the Flexco brand. We've had both on our 2016 179 (14" wheels, no risers) and I've been much more impressed with the Lippert.

The Flexco has long slots on the sides for the step slide that leave very little metal for structural support. We managed to bend them at the weak spot. Also, the lower step was too close to the ground to be of much use.

The Lippert has solid sides and the steps are at a better height.

With either one, you'll need to make modifications to the rear holes and add some spacing washers.

My wife has a bad knee and has no problem on the Lippert steps. She struggled a little more with the Flexco, but not too badly. The factory step was far too much of a step up into the camper.

Do you have a link to the lippert steps,we are looking into replacing our single step do to bad knees
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm
I've seen Stromberg-Carlson ones both with the slot and without. Same for Lippert. This one looks like the one I installed, although the part number is different.

24" manual radius folding step

This one from Lippert looks the same, but is significantly more expensive:

Lippert 432682 RV Double Entry Step 24" Manual Radius

I saw some reviews on Amazon that indicate the picture may not reflect the item you would receive.

Hope this helps. I looked on Camping World, but could not find the item number for the one I ordered and installed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:20am
It looks like Lippert has modified their steps to have the slot. The ones we have are almost identical to these:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Hickory-RV-Steps/952240RXWAC1.html
Uncle Hamish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm
I guess what I need to know is, can I buy the 2 step from forest River and simply bolt it on? All these mods look great but Im not handy enough to do the mod myself. If it was as simple as bolting it on (direct replacement) then maybe. I'm handicapped so this is going to be difficult enough without adding in bending this or cutting that.
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:13am
I asked FR what to replace our single step 26" wide step with to get a double step - here is their reply ...

10F12113A - $76.16 plus freight - 24" DOUBLE RADIUS STEP

They also said it would take some drilling to install, since the original step in my 2017 mod 178 is 26" wide.

Probably won't be buying from FR.
Teddy
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:59pm
After adding the riser kit to our 177 5 years ago (which only took 1 hour using basic hand tools) it was necessary to add a 2-step replacement.  That took much longer to complete.  Purchased the Stromberg-Carlson step, which seems sturdy enough for us, but took me about 2.5 hours by the time I removed the old step, used a hack saw to cut some notches in the new step, and then drill a couple new holes so that it would pretty much set in under the door just like the original one stepper.

I am not aware of anyone who offers a 2-step unit that is basically a bolt-on add w/o making some modifications.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:38am
I don't recall it taking me quite that long with the steps I bought but it did require some modifications and fiddling to get the mounting right.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>