R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNissan Frontier transmission temperature?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Frontier transmission temperature?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 8:07am
I use the Torque app (paid version) with BAFX OBDII module to monitor performance in our 2010 Nissan Frontier. I have not been able to find out how to monitor transmission temperature. I can monitor engine temperature, but there is no entry in  the parameters list for transmission temperature. I have also installed Advanced EX for Nissan. I have used the scan function. Transmission Temperature (Method1) and (Method 2) do not report any data.

Is there a PID that can be used to monitor transmission temperature for the Frontier? If so, what is it? Is there something that needs to be added in order for this to work? I do not want to install a separate transmission temperature sender and gauge. Maybe a sender if it will link up with the OBDII reader, but I don't want to try to figure out where to mount a separate temperature gauge outside the existing instrument cluster.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:23am
It sounds like there might not be a sensor for transmission temp. Just a SWAG.

I might suggest finding a Nissan forum somewhere. I know there are a lot of Nissan Frontiers out there, but the subset that own R-pods would probably be small.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:28pm
SH,

Some info on interweb, but also a lot of disagreement. Discussion about trans temp not covered in OBDI and the install of a sensor in a test port of the transmission. Not clear if all vehicles have a trans temp sensor, some speak about an idiot light in dash - do you have that? I read the Scan Gauge post(s) and there were also confusing. BLUF is I couldn't find anything that readily answers your need.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:37pm
Neither could I unfortunately. That is why I asked here. I guess it isn't to be found. The Escape I had previously did have the transmission temperature as a working parameter. It must be a Nissan issue as the Frontier is not the only model for which I could not find information on transmission temperature.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:01pm
Torque has a pretty good forum, or at least it used to be.. with lots of info on custom PID's, and vehicle specific info..
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm
I have a ScanGauge especially to read the TF temp in my FJ.  The codes for the ScanGauge were fairly hard to find for the FJ TF, but they were out there.  No idea about Nissan, but it's kind of like Toyota doesn't much want anyone to know what the TF temp is.  The FJ has an idiot light, but the general feeling on the FJ forum is that when it comes on your fluid is cooked.

The other thing with the FJ is that I've asked a lot of people and no one knows what too hot is, or they sure won't tell you anyway.  Cooler is better, to a point.  If you have an auxiliary transmission cooler, you might want to bypass it if you're driving in winter in Alberta.

So, anyway, after installing an aux. trans. cooler, I highly recommend it.  The fluid is generally 30 degrees cooler than it used to be and when gets hot it cools down quickly.  Makes even driving in the Smokies less worrisome.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:09am
The Frontier came with an auxiliary transmission cooler. However, there is no apparent way to monitor the fluid temperature.

I just had a 90,000 mile service at which I had the transmission flush performed along with transfer case and differential. This was in addition to engine oil (full synthetic) and coolant flush. I think, but am not 100% sure that the transmission fluid is synthetic. In addition to lacking a way to monitor temperature, the Frontier lacks a transmission dipstick so I can't monitor fluid condition either. It seems to be the way manufacturers are going though. I guess there are too many cases of owners pulling the dipstick and thinking the fluid was low because they were doing the test with the engine stopped and then adding fluid and ending up damaging the transmission by overfilling it. The incompetence of a few ruins it for everyone.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
RobnCari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The Frontier came with an auxiliary transmission cooler. However, there is no apparent way to monitor the fluid temperature.I just had a 90,000 mile service at which I had the transmission flush performed along with transfer case and differential. This was in addition to engine oil (full synthetic) and coolant flush. I think, but am not 100% sure that the transmission fluid is synthetic. In addition to lacking a way to monitor temperature, the Frontier lacks a transmission dipstick so I can't monitor fluid condition either. It seems to be the way manufacturers are going though. I guess there are too many cases of owners pulling the dipstick and thinking the fluid was low because they were doing the test with the engine stopped and then adding fluid and ending up damaging the transmission by overfilling it. The incompetence of a few ruins it for everyone.

Most vehicles don't have dipsticks anymore. But they do have a fill port, and your fluid should be at the fill port when at temp and running in most vehicles. You should be able to pull a sample at the fill port location then send it in for testing. Then you'll know if its synthetic, burnt, or experiencing premature thermal breakdown or not.
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
 Post Reply Post Reply