R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome ripped...suggestions? - Event Date: 18 Oct 2017 - 31 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-Dome ripped...suggestions?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:29pm
Hello everyone, I usually set up my r-some when I go camping. Especially for more than three days. This summer my r-dome ripped along a seam. Any recommendations on repair? I am about six months out of my warranty. Are there any modifications or other alternatives you guys have found to be a better option? I’m all ears!! Happy camping! Dave
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:57pm
We had a similar 'event' happen to our r-dome this spring.  We have using it since we got it with our 177 back in 2011.  The rip occurred at the top of the dome near the kedar strip, the rip was about 5" long.  Fortunately my wife is an excellent seamstress and got some sail cloth and waterproof thread from a boat store.  Since the rip occurred where there were multiple layers the sewing machine wouldn't work so she hand stitched the sail cloth over the rip and zig-zagged across with the thread, doesn't look that bad as she was able to find a cloth that was nearly the same color as the r-dome.   Where did your rip occur, up on top or near the ground?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Davidsutton66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:04pm
Mine ripped close to the top Where it slides into the gutter that holds it. I suspect I caught it on one of the screws or seems. I tried using tent repair kit but it separated the next time I put it together. Thinking about going to a sail repair shop. Don’t have the sewing skills that you guys have! Thanks for the tip
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:26pm
Yes, that is where ours ripped, probably for the same reason.  Sometimes I get in a hurry and force the keder, pulling it through the railing instead of pushing it through.  I have learned since then to have my DW assist me, one pulls the other pushes, makes the job a whole lot easier, and quicker.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply