R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Storage
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:07pm
We are new owners of an R-Pod 180. Owning a camper is a new experience for us. We are paying to store our camper for the winter since we live in northern Michigan. My husband did the basic winterizing as stated in manual. I read somewhere that the propane tank and battery should be removed. I will be cleaning it and taking out cleaning products, soap, bedding, paper products etc. Wondering specifically about taking out the mattress. Is that necessary? Should we wash exterior before storage? Do we need anything for possible moisture or keeping mice away? Any tips would be appreciated. 
We had a great summer camping and look forward to many more years of traveling. So fun meeting other R-Pod owners.
Thank you so much for your guidance.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:10pm
Welcome to this forum and welcome to the world of podding neighbor.  We live about an hours drive south of you along Torch Lake.  We have owned our 177 since March 2011 and have never removed the propane tank, in fact I do not turn the valve off during the winter either.  As far as the battery is concerned you have a couple options: 1) if you plan on using it at all while in storage and have the capability to plug it in to shore power, you can leave it plugged in during the winter, 2) unhook the cables from the battery AFTER getting it to your winter storage as you need the battery hooked up for the trailer brakes, then charge before storing them for winter.  What I have done with both our 12v deep cycle batteries is to give each a 2 amp trickle charge (usually takes 24-36 hours) until it is fully charged (I did this last week) and leave on the concrete in our unheated garage.  Our batteries are nearly 7 years old and still going strong.  I repeat this process the following spring, in mid-late April so that it is ready for us to use in May.  We store our 177 in our now unused horse barn, no heat or electricity but it is kept out of the elements.  We leave all our stuff like soap, bedding, paper products and our mattress in the pod during the winter.  All we do is to place a couple of dryer sheets in opposite ends of the pod, supposedly for mouse control.  Make sure you have a screen or steel wool over the 2 heater vents located on the exterior.  Since our 177 is protected from snow, ice, sleet I do keep a couple side windows open about 1/8" and the top vent about 1/4" open for moisture control.  I do wash exterior before storage just to get any krud/road tar, ect off the finish before letting it sit for the next 7 months.  Since we are neighbors maybe we can connect sometime.  PM us in the member control panel if interested.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:30pm
+1 to Jato. The only thing I can add is I ensure my slide is closed. When I lay on floor and look thru bottom cabinetry of slide I can see daylight, closing slide eliminates those gaps. I do keep the Pod attached to an extension cord. So it does have limited power. I check battery water levels.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:33pm
+2 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the 'things I forgot to mention' Mike.  Yes, keep the slide closed and most certainly check water battery levels, I check mine 2x/year.  Once after my October trickle charge and then again in mid-summer.  Maybe that is why they are still going strong after nearly 7 years and we use them a lot as we usually camp where no electric is available.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CLynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:17am
Thank you so very much for your expertise. I guess I was being overly cautious not sure what to expect for this first year. We feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful community of R-Podders. We would love to meet up with you some time. My brother’s in-laws own a summer home on Torch Lake. We will definitely meet up.
Stay warm and safe this winter.

🙏🏻
CLynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:18am
Thank you so very much for your expertise. I guess I was being overly cautious not sure what to expect for this first year. We feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful community of R-Podders. We would love to meet up with you some time. My brother’s in-laws own a summer home on Torch Lake. We will definitely meet up.
Stay warm and safe this winter.

PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:19pm
FYi, I just posted my Top !0 RPod storage tips to my YouTube channel if anyone is interested. ~PP

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
CLynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:37am
Thank you so much for sharing your video! Truthfully, I never thought to look at You-tube videos for suggestions. We cleaned inside and out and winterized it, propane tank and battery off . We stored it in the most fabulous inside storage place in northern Michigan. We felt more comfortable with paying for inside storage. I like your Ludington shirt. Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply