This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat models have tent option? - Event Date: 16 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: What models have tent option?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
Hello from Rochester MN!
We have camped for many years in a Coleman pop-up and have recently begun looking at R-Pods.   We would like a unit that can sleep 4, and also has a bathroom.

My 1st question: I have been looking at the 176T information in the brochure and on YouTube---and the brochure shows that the "tent" bed is 60 by 74. Are those dimensions the size of the bed in the folded over position without taking up any of the dinette area? Our pop-up had a bed that was 51 x 72 and I could sleep comfortably on that size bed. The YouTube video showed the bed "unfolded" and extending over most of the dinette space.

My 2nd question:   What year did R-Pod begin making a model with the tent option?

3rd question: What are the model numbers (over the years) that have the tent option?

Does anyone in this forum own a RP-176T or earlier R-Pod model with a tent bed---who lives within 50 miles (or so) of Rochester, MN. I would like to see one and talk to an owner before purchasing one from the brochure pictures.

Thanks for all the helpful hints that are posted in the forum!

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:14pm
The 60 x 74 is the standard mattress that is found in (as far as I am aware of) all r-pods with the exception of one model that comes equipped with 2 single bunks.  #2 Am not sure what you mean by tent option, if you mean a tent that is attached all the time to the pod the 176-T and 172-T are the only ones that has that option.  If you mean which models come with an attachable R-Dome, then all models made have that option, it basically doubles the floor space size of the r-pod.  Other units that sleep four include the 171, 172, 176, 178, 179, and the 182-G.  The r-dome has been available on the pod since they were first produced in 2009.  This only answers a portion of your questions, others much more knowledgeable than I will chime in for certain.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:51pm
The only tent models are the 172T and the 176T. That's what the T stands for. 172T does not have a slide. 176T does.

They are both rare, and I would say the 172T is the rarest. I don't remember right off when T models debuted, but I think it was 2012.

We have camped with hundreds of other podders over the years, and have only once been with a 172T, and twice with 176T's..

The bed does cover the dinette area, as designed.. one of the owners I met, they are short, and they slept the "other way", leaving the dinette undisturbed.. odds are not good this will work for you.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:07pm
Just to add to what jato said, the r-dome's are still available but are not standard equipment anymore, you have to order them especially that way from the factory.  The standard equipment on the 2017 and following is the Thule awning.  We found out (the hard way) that if you want to switch from the Thule to the R-dome after the fact, it will void the warranty because of all the extra holes and such.
We ended up sticking with the Thule and we are glad we did.  The awning is super easy to set up and works well.
Also, we know someone who used to own a 176T and they did not like the fact that you have to climb over the "dinette bed" to get to the pop-out bed.  I can understand how that would be inconvenient for those sleeping on the dinette bed! :-)
K&S
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Dpod56 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi from Northfield MN!. We have a 2014 177, so I can't help you with the tent option, but just wanted to say hello, and good luck with your choice.  We love the rpod!
Dpod56
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:44pm
Just thinking when we had a pop-up camper there were a number of parks out west, including national parks that prohibit camping unless you have hard sides all the way around.  Last month when we were at RMNP in Colorado, there was a fair amount of bear activity going on, was glad to have a hard-sided camper.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:25pm
Hi welcome to rpoding. We bought our 178 last November and have used it a lot this year. The 178 will sleep 4 and has a big dinet.
Hope to see you out there sometime.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
176T maybe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
Thanks for the information in the multiple responses today. It all is helpful as we move toward deciding which model we want to purchase.

I am hoping someone who sees my original posting will have a 176T that we can take a look at here in Minnesota or in Western Wisconsin or Northern Iowa. I would be willing to drive a couple of hours (more than 50 miles) to see a 176T and to talk with the owners about their experience with it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:54am
This may, or may not, help you find an owner near you.. This map only consists of owners who have joined the forum and or FB group, and chosen to post their info to the map..

Owner's Map

Susie Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:20pm
Hi, I have a 178 with the Thule. Would you please tell me whether the only way to secure the bottom of the right leg is to the ground with a stake? That isn't always an option for me. Wondering why they didn't put a clip on the wall like they did on the left side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>