FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeveling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leveling
    Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Larry-D

Since the question of stabilizers vs leveling jacks comes up every so ofter.  I emailed Forest River and asked simply if the corner jacks were for leveling or stability.  Below is the response.

Subject: RE: RV Site - r-pod - Contact Us: "Jacks"

Larry,
Thank you for contacting Forest River. The scissor jacks on the four corners on the unit are for leveling. 

Thank you,
Samantha Ferguson
Surveyor/Rpod
Claim Processing/Warranty Part Returns
(574) 642-3119 option 2
sjhoover@forestriverinc.com
fax: (574) 343-5920

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.  Don't get me wrong; I love my Pod and by reference, Forest River, but this is the same company that installs check valves backwards from time to time.  I think you got an answer from someone at Forest River who didn't understand the question or just didn't know what she was talking about.

The stabilizer jacks are not strong enough to do much leveling in the first place, and I still buy into the notion that the frame isn't made to handle that kind of stress.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:08am
When looking at the rpod in September I was also looking at another light-wight camper.  The rpod had the four corner jacks and the other one had stabilizers, our 28'TT has stabilizers.  The salesman confirmed the jacks were for leveling.  Our previous Forest River 16' Wolf Pup had the jacks and we used them all the time to level the TT.

Looking at the same jacks on etrailer, etc they advertised them for "leveling" and with the discussions here I thought I would get a definitive answer.
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:12am
Here is the original question I sent to Forrest River using their "contact us" option on their web site.

" 2017 rpod 172. Are the jacks/levelers at the four corners for stabilizing only or for leveling? I am reading conflicting information.

Thanks for your help

Larry "

If they misunderstood then I suggest someone contact them again.  In my experience, if the trailer is chocked against movement the jacks can be used to level.  If someone doesn't want to use them to level then another method may be used.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:30am
I'm with TT on this one.  Besides, I think it's quicker and easier to level side to side with blocks and front to back with tongue jack. Hopkins Level Gauges make it even easier.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:42am
I'm with the stabilizer only opinion. When we purchased our R-179, the dealer made very clear that the scissor jacks are for stabilizing; not leveling.

They are not strong enough to do leveling.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:56pm
FR has many different brand names. Was the question for the RPod specifically? Some other models do level. Samantha needs to be specific about the RPod.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:32am

The stabilizer jacks are not strong enough to do much leveling in the first place, and I still buy into the notion that the frame isn't made to handle that kind of stress. 

TT[/QUOTE]

-------------

I've been out of town fishing. This thread appears to be 'hi-jacked',  however I agree with Tars. Every-so-often someone reports here that their door doesn't open freely and I bet that they are using their stabilizing jacks as levelers and are bending the R-Pod's frame.

(BTW I love the 'leggo blocks')

rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm

Since the question of stabilizers vs leveling jacks comes up every so ofter.  I emailed Forest River and asked simply if the corner jacks were for leveling or stability.  Below is the response.
<b style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">
<b style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">Subject:<span ="Apple-converted-space"> </span><span style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">RE: RV Site - r-pod - Contact Us: "Jacks"</span><div style="font-family: -webkit-standard; text-size-adjust: auto;"><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif;"><span style="font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"> </span>

<blockquote id="MAC_OUTLOOK_ATTRIBUTION_BLOCKQUOTE" style="font-family: -webkit-standard; text-size-adjust: auto; border-style: none none none solid; border-left-width: 4.5pt; border-left-color: rgb181, 196, 223; padding: 0in 0in 0in 4pt; margin-left: 3.75pt; margin-right: 0in;"><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 12pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif;"><span style="font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Larry,Thank you for contacting Forest River. The scissor jacks on the four corners on the unit are for leveling.<span ="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Thank you,Samantha FergusonSurveyor/RpodClaim Processing/Warranty Part Returns<span><span id="gc-number-0" ="gc-cs-" title="Call with Google Voice">(574) 642-3119</span> option 2</span>sjhoover@forestriverinc.com<span>fax: <span id="gc-number-1" ="gc-cs-" title="Call with Google Voice">(574) 343-5920</span></span></span>

I got the same answer from Samantha. I replied, you are telling me I can lift a wheel off the ground like the big rigs?. Never got an answer.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 9:56am

After using 2x6s for year I finally sprung for the Anderson levelers.  Big improvement.  Quick and easy, heavy duty.  Once level I use the corner jacks to stabilize and everything is good to go.  5 minutes at the most.

Update on the levelers.  Worked great for the Rpod.  We also have a 28' TT with twin axles.  Used them over Thanksgiving.  For one of the levelers it was the first use and the other one it was the second use.  Set up was quick and great.  When leaving and pulling the trailer off the levelers the one one the rear axle broke.  There were no rocks or debris beneath the leveler and it didn't get caught on anything to "snap" it.  The trailer was not overloaded.

When looking on Amazon for reviews the posted photos of failures matches my failure exactly.  Maybe there was a bad batch or too much plastic was removed or not injected in the manufacturing process.  I contacted Anderson and they are sending a replacement.  Great and easy concept I hope the next lasts longer.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:31am

Let me add a different view of stabilizing vs leveling. It’s not a strength issue but a flex issue. When the trailer is fully supported by the wheels the frame is slightly bowed downward at the front and rear of the camper. The bow at the front is somewhat compensated by the tongue jack but the rear bow remains. If a leveling force is applied by the stabilizers the bow is reversed and the frame will be slightly bowed upward at front and rear. In the extreme the camper could be totally supported by the rear stabilizers and the tongue jack resulting in maximum slight upward bowing of the frame. Although slight the change in frame bow will flex all wall and roof joints, stressing seals and aggravating potential leaks. Although not an overstress risk to the frame it would add to the known leak potential of all campers. The stabilizers are for stabilizing; plastic or wood levelers are for leveling. Keep the load on the wheels.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>