Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leveling
    Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by NAP1947

Stephen, can you explain the Andersen slipped on your driveway statement.
Once we take delivery it will be parked on our slopping drive, I had hoped the ndersen plus our old wood chocks would be sufficient.

It was not the Andersen leveler as such, but before I poured the extension, the slope of the driveway was such that leveling our R-Pod needed more than 4" of lift. I was trying to use a 2x10 under the Andersen leveler and could not figure out how to stop it frrom slipping, even though I tried using some non-skid material between the board and the leveler.
With the extension, I think the Andersen leveler by itself will be sufficient so I wuld not have the same issue as I had before.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Andersen leveler for simplicity and adjustment that is not in steps like the block type levelers or boards. Plus it is easy to carry. I have used the BAL leveler and like it also, but it is harder to carry since it is both heavy and bulky. Plus, I don't care for the way it tilts, putting pressure on the side-walls instead of staying square with the treads.At home, I do tend to use the block type as I have had a problem with the Andersen slipping on my driveway. I haven't tried the Andersen since I poured the extension to the driveway though. Next time I move the R-Pod, I think I will give it another try.

Slipping? Sideways or in the direction of the tow hitch? The Anderson is only for left and right leveling. Up to 4". I have an electric jack for front to rear leveling and I do chock the opposite tire from the Anderson leveler. I do not want my jack holding the trailer in place. Just to level. We were on a fairly steep pad and my jack slipped about an 1". That is when I realized I need to chock the other wheel before taking it lose from the tow vehicle. No problems since.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:23pm
+1 for the Andersen. We had the BAL and managed to damage the screw using a battery-operated impact driver. The Andersen lets the TV do all the lifting.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by rawest50

Slipping? Sideways or in the direction of the tow hitch? The Anderson is only for left and right leveling. Up to 4". I have an electric jack for front to rear leveling and I do chock the opposite tire from the Anderson leveler. I do not want my jack holding the trailer in place. Just to level. We were on a fairly steep pad and my jack slipped about an 1". That is when I realized I need to chock the other wheel before taking it lose from the tow vehicle. No problems since.

Not sideways. When I was trying to use a block under the Andersen to gain the additional height, the Andersen leveler would slide instead of the tire rolling up onto it. If it did start, then when I let off the brake, the Andersen would slide and pop out from under the tire. That does not occur if I am using it directly on the concrete. It also has not slipped when directly on blacktop or gravel or ground. It was only when trying to use it on top of a 2x10 piece of lumber that it slipped.

I really like the Andersen leveler, but if you need more than 4" of lift, you will need to go with an alternative unless you can figure out how to keep it from slipping when placed on top of a piece of lumber.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm

I really like the Andersen leveler, but if you need more than 4" of lift, you will need to go with an alternative unless you can figure out how to keep it from slipping when placed on top of a piece of lumber.
That is my only complaint as well. That and if you are at the "top" of its leveling capability, you effectively lose the "chock" component. We also carry a rubber chock that we use on the opposite side.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:13pm
RMP, we use the BAL, really like it. Chock and leveler at same time, drive into site, and only 1 person to level. I also use a set of chocks on the off side of the BAL, just for safety sake. Bonus is, you get more than 4in of lift.... LOL that being said.. if you need say more than 5in, your on the side of a mountain... I can and have the pod leveled side to side, front to back, by myself in under 5 minutes from getting out of the tv.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:15am
After using 2x6s for year I finally sprung for the Anderson levelers.  Big improvement.  Quick and easy, heavy duty.  Once level I use the corner jacks to stabilaize and everything is good to go.  5 minutes at the most.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 3:39pm

Andersen leveler for simplicity and adjustment that is not in steps like the block type levelers or boards. Plus it is easy to carry. I have used the BAL leveler and like it also, but it is harder to carry since it is both heavy and bulky. Plus, I don't care for the way it tilts, putting pressure on the side-walls instead of staying square with the treads.At home, I do tend to use the block type as I have had a problem with the Andersen slipping on my driveway. I haven't tried the Andersen since I poured the extension to the driveway though. Next time I move the R-Pod, I think I will give it another try.

They make a pad for the Andersen levelers. Says it can be used on dirt, grass, sand, slick pavement, etc. I do not have one so I cannot say if it works or not.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:58pm
Another method...NOT!

On a recent trip, while wife was cooking dinner in the pod and I was enjoying a cocktail or three under the dome I was struck with a great (read, Don't do this!) idea!

The pod was slightly pitched toward the slide side. No levelers. Dome always fits a bit better when level or slightly pitched toward dome side. "How much time before dinner?" I asked. "Ten minutes", she says. "Plenty of time", I think.

I really haven't had much opportunity to use the hydraulic floor jack I carry. This seemed like a perfect time! I sat my cocktail down and got to work. Figured one Lynx leveler would do it and the dome would fit perfect!

Slid the jack under the axle riser and slowly pumped the pod up. Didn't want to scare the wife or mess up my dinner. Of course, you gotto raise quite a bit to lift the tire and slide a Lynx leveler under it. I got it all the way up and leveler under and she didn't say a word. Surprised me. I was a bit too confident...

It's generally a good idea to very, very slowly release the hydraulic valve to lower the jack. I was so proud of my new found leveling method, I sorta forgot and gave the valve a crank. Pod came down with a crash. Surprised me. Scared the sh*! out of wife in the galley. She came running out thinking someone just drove into our Pod! "It's all good Hon. We're perfect now!" I tried to sound convincing and confident. "Don't EVER do that again!" she quietly exclaimed in a slightly above average campground voice.

Suffice to say...I won't do that again. Should make sure the level is exactly where I want it before putting dome up and definitely before cocktail hour! Or, buy an Anderson leveler.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 7:46pm
I am always concerned when I hear "hold my beer while I."
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>