R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Power
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:18am
Hello all, I have been researching Solar Power for my 2017 rpod 179. I used a online calculator to find my power needs. I would like to roof mount, but I am nervous about screwing into my roof. A flex panel sealed to the roof  is the way to go imo. I don't mind a portable one if the quality is better. Any help on pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks

165 watts
12.6 amps
56 amp hours

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm
where do you live, and where will you be camping? what do you expect the battery to run?
Mafghine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:26pm
Might as well be viable for full time living. north america
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:59pm
Well.. that's the problem.. SOME of the country is great fro solar, some.. less so. Portable panels allow you to keep the pod in the shade, and put the panels in the sun, mounted panels, mean the pod MUST be in the sun. If full time around the country includes the wooded east.. then portable panels make more sense..

If full timing, and wanting to do so off grid, then a generator is the real answer. Unless you are willing and able to spend an awful lot of money, the microwave and air conditioner will be useless. I can live without one.. but not the other, myself.

Think of the battery as a gas tank, and the solar as a filling station. If going full time, and off grid, you will need a bigger tank, and enough filling station capability to keep up with use. We ran really good, dual 6v batteries, and with our 120watt portable panel, could stay out indefinitely, electricity wise, minus of course, those two important items above.

Most of this has been discussed in depth here before, the search function may be handy to you..
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Mafghine

Hello all, I have been researching Solar Power for my 2017 rpod 179. I used a online calculator to find my power needs. I would like to roof mount, but I am nervous about screwing into my roof. A flex panel sealed to the roof  is the way to go imo. I don't mind a portable one if the quality is better. Any help on pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks

165 watts
12.6 amps
56 amp hours

I installed 2 140 watt rigid panels to the roof of our 179 using 3M VHB tape.  Still holding well after over 2 years and 18 thousand miles.  You will have to perforate the roof to bring the wires from the panel down to your charge controller (not as scary as it sounds).  See a detailed description of my installation with pix in the files section of the r-pod facebook page  https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/How%20To%20-%20Installation%20-%20Solar%20Panels%20on%20Roof.pdf?token=AWwo4qZhUVhzHrgXL1osnadZ6JmCmSBaAsEBiizglnm1V3RB9YSjyAmykThqQPxy6bRkxSnEiw1gAjdw67u3atsfUgIA0kxMZrmkF5TO4cQLuBcUyzuJnrTxnDxF1UVpHzUIM-XpDOnX48nLPp-eVwy4

In case the link doesn't work, the file is titled "How to: Installation of solar panels on roof.pdf (or something like that
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:03am
I suggest you go with a portable solar panel.  There are several benefits:

-better quality and more efficient panel
-ability to move the panel with the sun for higher output
-ability to part the trailer in the shade and put the panel in the sun
-no mounting problems, holes in the roof, etc

My opinion of course....
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:56pm
I can top off my single 12 V battery each day with some P V tending, using the Damp briefcase model. This is in tune Cascades in summer and we only use the built-in stereo, LED lights at night, and the controller for the LP fridge. I'm willing to exchange a lot of electronic "conviences" for some solitude.

But that's me. Your values probably differ.
Life is good.
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Our pod

I can top off my single 12 V battery each day with some P V tending, using the Damp briefcase model. This is in tune Cascades in summer and we only use the built-in stereo, LED lights at night, and the controller for the LP fridge. I'm willing to exchange a lot of electronic "conviences" for some solitude.

But that's me. Your values probably differ.

Our values are quite similar.  While we have left the stereo intact, the TV and microwave/convection oven have been removed.  We prefer to snuggle up with books at night so our power needs are minimal.

I also installed a Wave 3 catalytic heater which doesn't use a fan like the built-in furnace.  The heat output is adequate for our needs.

The portable solar panel we use tops off our dual 12v batteries.

Life is indeed good.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply