R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWF 8955 Converter - Event Date: 14 Apr 2017 - 07 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: WF 8955 Converter
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 6:27pm
Rpod 180 new purchase in April 2017. Converter failed before first trip. Camping World replaced after two trips to their
shop. It worked for one trip and then during trip to Smokies it quit again and salvaged the trip using portable charger. Took back to CWorld and they kept for a week and said it was fixed. Took a 6000 mile trip to Wyoming in August and converter never charged the batteries. Used the portable charger to keep batteries up when in rv parks. Took to another
Forest River dealer three weeks ago and they are replacing the converter and some other issues. Forest River won't
allow another brand of converter to replace the WF8955. I won't even mentioned other problems that I fixed. I'll never pay cash for an rv again. If financed I would let them come get it. No more Forest River products for me and no more Camping World. I've owned all types of RVs since 1970 and never anything like this converter deal. Caryd9474@gmail.com
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
Cary, sorry to hear about your problems. It does seem to me that too many fellow Pod owners have reported converter failures among other problems. Though I wonder if the converter FR installs in our Pods have the same, greater, or less failure rate then other manufacturers use in their trailers? I know many Pod owners who have had converter issues have replaced then with another manufacturers converters then FR uses. You can search out or ask what converter unit other Pod owners have installed.

I'd be interested in knowing if by chance when you plug into shore power if you use a Surge Guard to filter and protect?  

As for your other problems that you and new Pod owners have encountered. For the price range of our camper trailers it would be very interesting to see how the general problems you have and other have reported stack up to comparable units by other manufactures? 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:32am
I had the same problem with the converter. If it happens again I plan on asking this groups advice on a different converter I can put in myself..... my dealer said it's been a huge problem for a while.
My pod is a 2016, the converter and having to have a new microwave installed have been my only issues.

Sorry to read of all your other problems. I'd be highly upset too.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Without getting into the the OP's "issues".. I will say, FR doesn't build the WFCO power center, REGARDLESS of what small camper you bought in the last year and half, you had a decent chance of getting a bad one. No dealership I am aware of has given any owner any guff about it. I know a pod owner or two that have had more then 1 replaced, under warranty. Is it a pain? Yes. But stuff made by man can be and often is, faulty. Accept. Repair, Camp.

That said, if on your own dime for the repair, I highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4655V-Converter-Charger/dp/B002OR4242
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:13pm
I had to replace ours this past summer. It was still under warranty, but I did not have the time to take it to a dealer to diagnose, wait, and then go back to get fixed. I ordered another one from Amazon and replaced it myself. When we got home, I went online and submitted information for warranty replacement. I have a brand-new one as a spare now.

It was less expensive to purchase another WFCO converter and I was sure it was a drop-in replacement that would fit.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by StephenH

I had to replace ours this past summer. It was still under warranty, but I did not have the time to take it to a dealer to diagnose, wait, and then go back to get fixed. I ordered another one from Amazon and replaced it myself. When we got home, I went online and submitted information for warranty replacement. I have a brand-new one as a spare now.

It was less expensive to purchase another WFCO converter and I was sure it was a drop-in replacement that would fit.

Great idea StephenH, always nice to have a spare! How about a write up on "how" to replace the converter? Is it just a matter of a few screws and plug in and out or what? Inquiring minds would like to know! Tongue
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:17am
Okay. To replace the converter,
1. Disconnect Shore Power and use battery cut-off switch or remove negative battery terminal to disconnect the battery/batteries).
2. remove the two screws that hold the converter in place.Then slide it out of the panel.
3. Note which wires are connected to it from the AC breaker and the heavy wires that go to the battery/batteries.
4. Disconnect the wire from the AC breaker terminal. Disconnect the neutral and ground wires. Disconnect the two 12V wires from the terminals next to the 40A reverse polarity connection fuses.
5. Remove the old converter.
6. Put the new converter near enough to connect the wires.
7. Connect the 12V wires, ensuring that the polarity is the same as it was on the old converter.
8. Connect the 110V neutral and ground wires. Feed the black wire through and connect it to the breaker.
9. Slide the new converter into place and fasten with the two screws.
10. Switch your battery on or reconnect the negative terminal.
12. Reconnect your shore power and turn the breaker for the converter on.

If all was wired correctly, the converter should begin to charge your battery/batteries.

Note: I am doing this from memory. It is not difficult to do. Just be sure that if you remove a wire from the old converter, the new converter will have the wire attached to the same place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:14pm
Thanks StephenH, I'm sure your explanation will help someone out who has had problems with the converter.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
Our converter failed just short of a year after purchase. Instead of fooling around with warranty and being stuck with another WFCO, I ordered and installed the PD 4655 mentioned above. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. 
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:36pm
I had issues with two converters in my 2017 180.  I wrote about my theory and fix here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8847&KW=converter&title=theory-on-failed-power-converters-possible-fix 

Since this fix, approximately 30,000+ miles ago, I have not had an issue.  
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>