R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-180 Shower & HW Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-180 Shower & HW Issues
    Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by crazycoyote

I had the same problem with my shower in the 180. FR uses a 3/8th plywood base under the shower floor, but the drain and trap are solid on the trailer floor, so, when us folks with some weight step in and take a shower, the 3/8" support bends down from our weight, and the drain will not move, thus, the cheap calking, pulls away from the drain, causing the leak. I used marine silicone around the drain, then went thru the inspection plate and put 4 more 2x4 about 4" long under the plywood they had. Worked out great. Did this about 5 months ago. STILL- no leak. Good luck. By the way, I used wood glue to hold the 2x4s in place.

Weight on the shower pan I think is exactly my leak problem.  Of course, it didn't help that a connector screw collar at the trap was completely unscrewed.  The plywood blocks to support the floor is a great idea.  Did you glue the blocks to the existing wood support box or directly to the trailer floor and shower pan? 
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by FireMechanic

I too had a shower leak in the same area on our 2017 1/2 RPOD 180. I did the same thing as “crazycoyote” did to brace up the plywood underneath the shower pan so there is minimal flexing on the shower floor. Not only did I do that, but I also removed the trap on the bottom along with the entire drain assembly parts and caulking. I went on eBay and purchased all new drain parts. I called Forest River up in Oregon found out what kind of sealant they used to seal the shower drains and found it on Amazon and purchased It. It is called “Geocel 28127V Pro Flex Bright White RV Flexible Sealant - 10 oz”. I used a large excessive amount and mushed it all together and so far no leaks since last January after I picked the unit up in December 16’. But I really believe the shotty workmanship when they built and assembled these trailers on shoring up the plywood under the shower pan needed to be addressed at the factory, but I don’t trust them to touch my trailer anymore. If I can fix it myself I always will. I have a seven year extended warranty. I wonder how many more people who bought trailers from Forest River and every other rv maker with showers in them that have leaks and don’t even know it. Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the info on the sealant. I'm hoping I don't have to resort to a complete rebuild of the show drain system.  Hopefully, shoring up the shower floor and tightening up existing connections and liberally applying a marine silicone sealant will take care of it.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 4Papa

Will play with again today.  Yesterday, igniter fired propane but flame shut off after a couple seconds.

That is a symptom of the line not being purged thoroughly. The other appliances can be burning fine but the branch line that leads to the refrigerator may still have some air. The gas that is reaching the burner isn't rich enough to sustain flame. Try a few more cycles and see if it will stay lit.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:41pm
On our 180 the water heater stopped working on propane but still worked on electric so our trip was not ruined.  Brought it to back to dealer for repair.  While we have not had any shower leaks we did open up the panel on the shower to access the inside shower wall to attach magnets so that we can get the shower curtain to stay against the walls.  Gluing metal strips to the shower curtain worked great.  We did notice the plywood platform to support the shower floor was loose and moves around.  Will try to glue some more 2x4 pieces to it to secure it better
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by 4Papa

Will play with again today.  Yesterday, igniter fired propane but flame shut off after a couple seconds.

That is a symptom of the line not being purged thoroughly. The other appliances can be burning fine but the branch line that leads to the refrigerator may still have some air. The gas that is reaching the burner isn't rich enough to sustain flame. Try a few more cycles and see if it will stay lit.

Tried again today.  First turned on stove... good flame, dual burners.  Observed first cycle of WH at the panel and it lit, burned two seconds and went out.  Succeeding two auto cycles didn't even light.  I then tried WH on shore power... worked fine.  Dealer service dept. suggested this to narrow down if the circuit "board" is good.  I'll try again tomorrow running all propane appliances (stove, frig, furnace) to answer potential purge problems once and for all.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

On our 180 the water heater stopped working on propane but still worked on electric so our trip was not ruined.  Brought it to back to dealer for repair.  While we have not had any shower leaks we did open up the panel on the shower to access the inside shower wall to attach magnets so that we can get the shower curtain to stay against the walls.  Gluing metal strips to the shower curtain worked great.  We did notice the plywood platform to support the shower floor was loose and moves around.  Will try to glue some more 2x4 pieces to it to secure it better

Hoping to get a few more trips in before the New England weather makes it impossible (snow, ice, daytime freezes), so, if propane-fired WH not fixed soon, will have to confine ourselves to campgrounds with shore power.  Leaking shower not a game stopper.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:57am
Slightly off topic but jato did mention it and I just have to ask.......what is a mud dauber? and what kind of nests do they build in Pods?  I've seen them mentioned on this forum in the past and we camp in  Michigan so we're wondering what they look like.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by ParPod

Slightly off topic but jato did mention it and I just have to ask.......what is a mud dauber? and what kind of nests do they build in Pods?  I've seen them mentioned on this forum in the past and we camp in  Michigan so we're wondering what they look like.
A wasp. Some places call them mud wasps because they make their nest out of mud. 

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
A kind of wasp that builds round-ish nests out of mud instead of the typical paper-like, honey-combed nests.  Around here the most common ones are black with thin, thread like body parts.  The nests, since they become a hardened mud, can be a problem in anything small and protected from the elements, ie. air inlets and outlets, pitot tubes, etc.  
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by ParPod

What! You mean to tell me in Michigan your not "blessed" by this nefarious wasp? By all means you should move or spend allot of time in the South so can learn all about the mischievous habits of this little wasp. They are why you see RV owners install screens over their refrigerator, heater, and water heater vents. If it was possible and practical to install a screen over my engine compartment in my truck to keep these pest out I would. LOL

To help you get the picture check out the mod thread were I posted photos of the screens I installed on my Pod to keep the Mud Daubers out.    
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>