R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-180 Shower & HW Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-180 Shower & HW Issues
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:16pm
Got a 2017 180 purchased in August with three 3-day trips under its belt (1 full hookups / 2 dry camps) and I have two issues I'm trying to run down.  The first is the shower leaks, I believe from the drain connections below the pan. I pulled the access panel and ran the shower and found a small leak coming from an upper connection just below the drain cover.  The leak without someone standing in the shower is small, but with my weight (215#) in the shower and the water running, there was a fair amount of water that pooled from beneath the shower tub out into the main cabin.  Anyone have a similar issue?

Second problem is the propane part of the water heater is no longer working.  With a full tank of propane, I hear the igniter fire the propane mix but the system then shuts down.  After three tries the system goes into fail safe.  I recycle the switch and either get the same thing or it won't ignite at all.  Very frustrating as I hoped to use the camper this coming long, holiday weekend (the last weekend of the season for state campgrounds).  Any thoughts?

The camper is obviously still under warranty and has an extended warranty, but the dealer is over 4 hours away.  I'm in touch with them but there's little they can do in the near term.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
POD WE R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
As for the shower leak, check to make sure the drain fitting is properly caulked. Mine was not and every time we showered water would run out under the shower pan. FR did a poor job of sealing the drain. Hope this helps.

E & M
2017 RP180 HRE
AZ
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
Hunt down the obvious first.  Is propane tank turned on, have propane in it, was it recently changed out (if it was it is a good idea to light your stove burners first to purge some air out, also turn fridge on propane to purge air out of line.  Has the hot water tank been used and functioning lately?  Possibly a mud dauber or other critter decide to build a nest in or near the igniter? Try some low pressure air around the igniter and tube near it to possibly clear out any debris or blockage that prevents the igniter from functioning.  Start here and report back, hopefully it is something simple.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm
+1 jato!

Make sure your gas line is purged by opening your valve on the stove burning and leaving it open until you can light it easily. Make sure your drain line connector from the sink and shower is tight! We experienced mysteriously appearing water on our 180 bathroom floor and I found it to be water dripping down from a loose sink drain. When I checked the shower drain I found it a tad loose and snugged it up tight too and no problems since. Remember your trailer is bouncing around as your going down the road so the vibration can loosen drain lines which you should always check.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:29pm
I had the same problem with my shower in the 180. FR uses a 3/8th plywood base under the shower floor, but the drain and trap are solid on the trailer floor, so, when us folks with some weight step in and take a shower, the 3/8" support bends down from our weight, and the drain will not move, thus, the cheap calking, pulls away from the drain, causing the leak. I used marine silicone around the drain, then went thru the inspection plate and put 4 more 2x4 about 4" long under the plywood they had. Worked out great. Did this about 5 months ago. STILL- no leak. Good luck. By the way, I used wood glue to hold the 2x4s in place.
FireMechanic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm
I too had a shower leak in the same area on our 2017 1/2 RPOD 180. I did the same thing as “crazycoyote” did to brace up the plywood underneath the shower pan so there is minimal flexing on the shower floor. Not only did I do that, but I also removed the trap on the bottom along with the entire drain assembly parts and caulking. I went on eBay and purchased all new drain parts. I called Forest River up in Oregon found out what kind of sealant they used to seal the shower drains and found it on Amazon and purchased It. It is called “Geocel 28127V Pro Flex Bright White RV Flexible Sealant - 10 oz”. I used a large excessive amount and mushed it all together and so far no leaks since last January after I picked the unit up in December 16’. But I really believe the shotty workmanship when they built and assembled these trailers on shoring up the plywood under the shower pan needed to be addressed at the factory, but I don’t trust them to touch my trailer anymore. If I can fix it myself I always will. I have a seven year extended warranty. I wonder how many more people who bought trailers from Forest River and every other rv maker with showers in them that have leaks and don’t even know it. Good luck and have fun
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:41am
  Answered. Not sure how to delete this.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by jato

Hunt down the obvious first.  Is propane tank turned on, have propane in it, was it recently changed out (if it was it is a good idea to light your stove burners first to purge some air out, also turn fridge on propane to purge air out of line.  Has the hot water tank been used and functioning lately?  Possibly a mud dauber or other critter decide to build a nest in or near the igniter? Try some low pressure air around the igniter and tube near it to possibly clear out any debris or blockage that prevents the igniter from functioning.  Start here and report back, hopefully it is something simple.

Lack of propane was eliminated early.  Not only was it still on the original tank, but the furnace, frig (on propane) and stove all work.  The HW tank worked fine on the two previous outings, as well as on the first night this last time out.  No debris in or near igniter.

Will play with again today.  Yesterday, igniter fired propane but flame shut off after a couple seconds.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by POD WE R

As for the shower leak, check to make sure the drain fitting is properly caulked. Mine was not and every time we showered water would run out under the shower pan. FR did a poor job of sealing the drain. Hope this helps.

I see no caulking whatsoever but did find a screw collar completely disconnected.  I re-screwed the collar.  Still, that wasn't the source of the leaks.  To apply caulking, what's best, silicone or caulk?

E & M
2017 RP180 HRE
AZ
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by DavMar

+1 jato!

Make sure your gas line is purged by opening your valve on the stove burning and leaving it open until you can light it easily. Make sure your drain line connector from the sink and shower is tight! We experienced mysteriously appearing water on our 180 bathroom floor and I found it to be water dripping down from a loose sink drain. When I checked the shower drain I found it a tad loose and snugged it up tight too and no problems since. Remember your trailer is bouncing around as your going down the road so the vibration can loosen drain lines which you should always check.

Hadn't experienced any problems with the sink, but I will check.  Thanks.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>