R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Issues
    Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 8:11am
Thanks! I hope that turns out to be the problem.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
Jato ... I have thought about not using anti freeze for years.  I always blow my line out, just like you do.  Same pressure, leave a valve open, etc.  But, I always put anti freeze in line, just to be safe.  Then, what a struggle to get the smell and taste out.  Plus, horrible showers for quite awhile.  I've always thought, "if I have blown all the water out, what is left to freeze."  So, this year, no antifreeze except in drain traps.  This represents a bold move for me.  Thanks for the advise.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:55pm
When I dewinterize, I sanitize with chlorine. Then I follow up after draining that with baking soda. I have ot had a taste issue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:53pm
Exactly correct flat6s !  No water in line, nothing to freeze.  This is the 6th year I have done it with compressed air.  Now to Stephen H . . .I must confess . . .  that from the day we purchased our 177 and picked it up in March 2011 that I never had sanitized my fresh water tank until Furpod gave me heck for not doing so while at the ERU in Traverse City last summer (2016).  We have only used well water in the tank, guess I never thought about getting sick from not sanitizing the tank.  So, that being said, I guess what I will do in the future is take a water sample from the tank in the springtime and send it to the county for a total analysis to see if any krud or harmful guys are in the water.  If it passes, I am good to go.  If not, I will go the traditional chlorine route followed by baking soda and lemon juice to rid the tank of the chlorine taste.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:41am
I use 1-2 cups of bleach in a full fresh water tank, run it through all water sources and then rinse. No issues very fast.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 4:10pm
So, when I just blow the lines out, how does the 12 volt pump and the small amoun of water lines coming off the water holding tanknd pump get blown out ?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 5:56pm
I was skeptical the first year I did this even though those who told me "no sweat" had done it for years.  I literally took the pump apart; hmm, no water.  The little filter that you unscrew on the output side of the pump I took off as well, and again, no water to be found.  The pressure obviously clears pump and filter of any water and/or residue.

There is probably enough flex in the plastic line from the water holding tank to the pump that allows for expansion or else gravity must pull it back into the tank.  Our winters get quite cold and I have never had a frozen/burst line issue.  One of the golf courses I maintain has an old Toro hydraulic system for its irrigation controllers.  The 3/8" lines are only taken apart between controllers (31 of them) and then from the controllers to the sprinkler heads (about 400) there is a 1/4" hydraulic line that runs from the controller to the sprinkler head.  Again, no freezing/burst line issues and these are only in the ground about 12-15 inches.  There isn't enough water in the 1/4" to burst the plastic line, even though nothing is done as far as opening the lines to reduce pressure except to allow gravity to reduce inline pressure over the winter months.
God's pod
'11 model 177
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:09pm
OK Jato.... that is what I will do ths year....I fully agree.  Also must say, I love the area you are from...regularly visit the area, Petosky, Charlevoux, young state park.. just got back from 2 weeks in the UP.... Tehquamenon for one week...I am going to guess the picture in your profile is Whitefish Point light house ?
Joe

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 8:01pm
Negatory unless the one who put all the icons for us to swipe on this forum took a pic of Whitefish Point, which indeed does look like it.  Did you see any color in the U.P. when you were there or was it too early?
God's pod
'11 model 177
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:45am
Jato,  just compared your icon to pictures I took and I can now confirm that it appears to be Whitefish Pointe lighthouse !!! We were barely too early for the color, but was just in time for some very chilly weather, which I actually enjoyed.  Our small electric heater kept us comfortable enough.  We lost our converter early on in this trip.  Continued on by using a battery charger as a converter.  Worked great.  I have installed a new upgraded Progressive Dynamics converter which we will try out next week at McCormicks Creek state park, here in Indiana.  We are wanting to find a spot in Michigan to seasonal rent for parking our pod when not traveling.  Any suggestions?
Joe. Karen. And of course Messy Bessie the bassett hound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>