R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions on Mods and particularly screws.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on Mods and particularly screws.
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:27pm
Hi There-
We just bought our first rpod (182g) and are busy puttering and working on some mods before its maiden voyage Columbus Day weekend. I've seen a lot of mods in the kitchen with the rail systems from IKEA and recently purchased a magnetic knife rack (IKEA) as well as a paper towel holder from Amazon. I was hoping to just use a higher weight Command tape to put them in place but its seems as though I am going to need to use screws and that makes me nervous. Any guidance on the type and size screws we should be using and if they should be anchored or not? I'm also curious about location, I'd like to hang the paper towel holder on the left side, closest to the bunks, but there isn't much wall there on that side of the slide out. Don't plan to hold anything too heavy, just a few knives and the paper towel role. 
Hebejebe1980 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 1:45pm
I'm beginning to think this is a silly question....? Confused
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
Not a silly question.  I avoided screws and just used command hooks for hanging a redneck homemade towel holder and anything else I wanted to hang.  It seems crazy that FR didn't extend the kitchen top storage a little farther out!  the 182 could use more indoor storage...the outside is great though! You may want to check under your bunk for how sturdy/not sturdy the supports are.  I had to had some wood to hold up what they had just screwed on the sides.
FROGGY
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 5:46pm
We mounted an Ikea bar with a couple of metal baskets over the sink using 3M Extreme Mounting Tape and some short screws (mounted on the exterior wall of our 12).  I don't recall the size of the screws, but they were basically self tapping sheet metal screws about 3/4 of an inch long.  The mounting tape foam squishes down so you hardly see it.  So far, it seems quite solid, though I wouldn't put more than a few pounds of stuff in the baskets.  It's perfect for the odds 'n ends that you'd use for cooking or around the sink.

The mounting tape supposedly will hold 30 lbs using a full role, but they say not to exceed 20 lbs.  At this point my biggest concern is what to do if I ever want to remove it without damaging the wall.... but that's that's the problem with any stick on stuff.  I suspect patiently using alcohol or some other solvent will work.

Re silly questions - Hebejebe, on this forum, I don't believe the concept of silly questions exists.  All questions and the answers help us all figure things out and inform us.  Though I had sail boats for years, I'm new to travel trailering and this forum has helped me tremendously.  Those "silly questions" help us learn from others' mistakes that they were brave enough to share.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
FWIW I used some command hooks to hold up some bins on the wall by the door in our 177.  The command hooks held on to the vinyl but pulled the vinly from the wall board.  I replaced them with some screw on hooks and wall anchors.  Adhesive hangers are only as good as the surface strength they are attached to.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm
That's why I used screws along with the adhesive tape.  Alone, I don't think the adhesive tape would hold much because the wall "paper" is the weak link in the "chain."  But together is seems pretty sturdy and doesn't make big holes in the wall as some anchors can do.  If you want to mount something heavy, it's probably best to put a board on the wall that's fastened to the wall frame and do your mounting from there.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Hebejebe1980 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:09am
Thank you for the insight everyone, and thank you lostagain for the feedback on silly questions! 
 Post Reply Post Reply