R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:43am
I now have a Dodge Aspen that I use to tow my R Pod.  I am 70 years old and ride an adult tricycle.  With that set up, I cannot take my trike camping.  Been thinking about selling the Aspen and getting a truck to haul R Pod.  That way, I can put my trike in the back of the truck.

Trying to decide between a Crew Cab Tundra with Hemi engine or a Chevy Silverado, 4X4, double cab with the 5.3 engine.  Would like to get some feedback if I can.  Thank you fellow Podders
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by podderfj

Trying to decide between a Crew Cab Tundra with Hemi engine or a Chevy Silverado, 4X4, double cab with the 5.3 engine.  Would like to get some feedback if I can.  Thank you fellow Podders
I'm not a fan of either one of those. The Tundra gets fairly awful mileage with or without load. Sure, it's a quality vehicle (we've owned Tacomas and Tundras, and have not really had any problems with any of them), but the terrible fuel economy is an ongoing issue.

The 5.3L Ecotech engine on the Silverado uses cylinder deactivation to achieve fuel economy when the load is light. Although this works, there have been ongoing issues with the side effects of the cylinder deactivation. Do a search on the net about ecotech and cylinder deactivation, and you will see issues going back several years. This is one of those things that looks great on paper, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.

I still like the Ecoboost engines on the F-150. Take your pick, either the 2.7L or the 3.5L. Ford has made millions of them, and there may have been some issues in  the early days, but for the last 3 years, they have been great. We've had our 3.5L Ecoboost for 2-1/2 years, and it has been flawless. Way more power than a previous Tundra we had (with the 5.7L V8), and way, way better gas mileage. The best we ever got on the Tundra was ~~ 17-18 MPG empty, and the F-150 gets 21-22 empty. Pulling the R-pod we get around 14, but that would be the case almost regardless of engine. The only way to get significantly better mileage pulling a trailer would be to use a diesel.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:58am
We have a 2011 F 150 with the 3.5 eco boost 20-21 mpg , 12-14 mpg towing. Been happy with it!!
            Jo and Gary
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:49am
Most likely will get many opinions. Biggest complaint against Tundras is mileage, but very good tow vehicles. I tow with a 5.3 Silverado 4X4 and have no complaints. My son has a 2013 3.5 4X4 Ford and it is an excellent truck. GM has used the EcoTec motor since 2014, and I don't see any sudden changes in future. My Silverado has the Vortec motor. Really a personal choice, you got Ford people, GM likers and Tundra followers. Nobody thinks their TV is worse than anothers, end of the day it will come down to what you decide.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:06pm
This is one request that you are going to get a lot of disagreement on. I just purchased a Pod and am using a 2014 Silverado much as you describe and a truck that I think is great.  Towed 500 miles on first trip without WDH or sway bar and worked great.  I got up to 23 mpg highway mileage without the pod on back but it was substantially reduced to 12.7 mpg with pod in tow haul mode.  I found due to the light weight of a pod I really do not need the tow haul mode so I expect a substantial improvement in mileage next time out. Don't want to offend any Ford owners.  I am an ex GM/Diesel truck mechanic and and I like my Chevrolets.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:19pm
A consideration too, is where one's mountain driving is. My personal motto is that all mountains are beautiful, and (and, not but :-) some are higher than others. Which is to say that the road elevations you're driving in the mountains are also a factor when considering tow vehicles (or vehicles at all, towing or not, for those of us who drive at elevations above 6000 ft.). 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
HeyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:25pm
We towed our 178 with a 2013 Toyota Highlander in the Colorado mountains. It was underpowered and got poor gas mileage. We bought a 2017 Chevy Colorado diesel. It has a crew cab and the short box. The fuel efficiency is great (minimum of 18 mpg up and down between Denver and Summit County). The truck has all the power we need to pull the trailer up and over the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches without strain.  
 Post Reply Post Reply