R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddisapointed with quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: disapointed with quality
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:36am
I know i'm going to get alot of flack for my statement but here goes. This is my first RV and after spending 18,000 on this pod i'm not happy with this Forest River produck. I;m aware that there will always be some kind of minor repair needed every year but this is riduclous. After 2 years, 8000 miles and only about 2 dozen trips i have had to repair the axel that is too light for the pods weight(according to my certified repair shop). 2 new tires, the micro/conv door button is stuck and cant close door. dvd player only last about an hour then it stopps mid stream, crappy speakers in and out. gas valve leaked and replaced, have to seal all exterior seams as some of seakeant flaked off.strip of trim on inside bottom of slide out came off when extending out.Screens splines pop out for no reason. I;m sure there will be more to come. Have made the decision to get rid of the pod in the spring, Researching diffrent breands for my replacement. My future is to be a full time rv er. I understand that all brands have issues but after 2 years when appliances and equipement starts going theres quality issues. Good luck to all you podders out there.
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:02am
No flack here, you are free here to express your opinion and in your case your experiences. It sounds like you have had a rough road and might have gotten one of the pods that they rushed to put together right before a Holiday weekend!
 Hope you find a keeper in the spring!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 9:58am
I'm on my 2nd pod and have good luck with both, but I do believe it's a little bit of a crap shoot as far as quality.  When I got my 2nd I held my breath for a long time before I was comfortable that I got a good or better one.  The only issue I've had to deal with so far is a water pump diaphragm.  I'm sorry you weren't as fortunate.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 10:46am
If I was going full time, there are only a few brands I would consider.. Airstream, Arctic Fox, OutdoorsRV, and... Lance.

I don't suspect you will get flak for the post. Pods can and do have problems. It's how you voice the issue and react to other owners trying to help that will get the flak.. LOL
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:15am
I agree 100 % that the pods are cheaply made. They are also cheaply sold. There are things that should absolutely not happen. Like they used a hole saw to to the attachment point hole for my black tank flush, and they hit the hose, and put about 12 holes in it. Of course as i went to use the black tank flush, i ended up washing the floors instead (thankfully it was only clean water leaking out before it got to the black tank). But my dealer looked at it, and replced everything that was part of that system. They replaced hoses, some valve, the attachment point, everything. No charge, and no trouble with it since. That makes it easier to somewhat "ignore". Sorry you have had worse luck. Oh by the way, i consider having to change the tires a good thing, those junk originals should be changed. I changed mine at 100 (yes 100, not a typo) miles.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 1:16pm
It is common to mistake specifications with quality.  Pods are built to a price point and to a specific weight target.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 2:49pm
Many of the repairs you noted are due to other manufacturers (e.g. Jensen for the DVD player) others are result of poor quality control and as others stated trying to produce a light product at a low price point.  I also have had issues (our POD is currently at a repair shop) but have found many other brands with similar issues.  I do not think your problems will be resolved by selling the RPOD and getting another brand unless you want to spend much more money.  Once all the obvious flaws are corrected you should be fine
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
I just finished the season on Friday and have greatly enjoyed the 2017 179. Did about 60 nights this season and everything worked well. The only issues were the buckling shower surround, which is common to the units built this winter, and one window shade coming unstrung. FR mailed me the tape and grommets to fix the shower surround. Overall, Iā€™m pretty happy given the sub $15k price point - I think that there is plenty of value for the low price. I did get the second year warranty from FR knowing things may not be perfect. 
Portage, MI ā€” 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra ā€” My RPod YouTube Videos
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
I consider myself very fortunate.  Last week we returned from a 4050 mile trip to RMNP in Colorado.  Our 177 now has over 26,000 miles on it and really have no complaints outside of having to be agile in making the bed.  Then of course, some of the issues you have had, we don't have since ours was special ordered back in January 2011, ours came without the following: no A/C, no microwave/convection oven, no entertainment system.  We normally dry camp so those wouldn't be operational anyway.  We have used the furnace A LOT, and it still works fine.  While in RMNP night temps hovered between 36-39 degrees, the furnace kept us toasty inside.   Regardless of all my hob-gobble, hopefully you will be able to find another unit with less issues and more to your liking in the future.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
sean p View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:43am
Thanks for all your  comments.  I know there are no perfect RV's out there,But my journey will continue to experience the RV life style. I'm sure i'll be in this situation in the future, but i expect to go thru several RV's before i leave this earth. This is a great forum and will continue to follow. The info you guys put out there is so so helpful for 1st timers. Hopefully theres not to many more pricey repairs before i more the pod on. 
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>