R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeak Problem - Event Date: 20 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Leak Problem
    Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:55pm
2015 (NTM), 179 Pod is leaking.  Viewed from inside facing rear window, leak shows up in the right corner on top of the counter.  Not clear if it is coming from the wall to side seal area (as side wall seems damp) or the window, or perhaps the slide.  Just discovered due to 90 days without rain in our area.  Now the rain.  Plan is to reset the rear window in new butyl and to reset the spoiler above the window.  Last will be to pull the wall to side moulding and insert new butyl putty.  Would greatly appreciate insights from anyone who has experienced this problem.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 7:12pm
We have seen on a couple occasions where a leak occured from a faulty rubber strip on the top of the slide when it is extended out.  For some quirky reason it didn't roll out: part did and part of it stayed rolled under, hence a gap along the top rubber strip would allow water to enter and wreck havoc inside the pod.  Fortunately we have never experienced this, but I do check it nearly every time we extend the slide outward to make sure the rubber strip is facing out and is not rolled under.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:51am
Thanks, I'll check that.  But IMHO, I find it entirely unacceptable that a two year old RV is leaking.  With modern sealants and technology, this should not happen.  Forest River says that the "seals" should be inspected every few months.  But on the rPod there is very little in the way of exposed seals to inspect.  Side-to-roof and window seals are all hidden.  If they are done right in the manufacturing process, they should last a very long time.  Certainly far longer than the 90 day warranty on the seals — which does not span the drought period some have experienced!
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:49pm
I had a similar problem in my 179...not a lot of water getting in, but maybe enough to cause problems over time. I remember reading that others have had it too. I got some silicone sealant (probably recommended by someone on this site) and sealed around the back window and seams on the roof in back...anywhere I thought could possibly be allowing water to leak in. I didn't do anything inside the trailer. The problem appears to be solved, at least so far. I'd try sealing those outside seams before doing anything too extreme. Good luck!   
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by jato

We have seen on a couple occasions where a leak occured from a faulty rubber strip on the top of the slide when it is extended out.  For some quirky reason it didn't roll out: part did and part of it stayed rolled under, hence a gap along the top rubber strip would allow water to enter and wreck havoc inside the pod.  Fortunately we have never experienced this, but I do check it nearly every time we extend the slide outward to make sure the rubber strip is facing out and is not rolled under.

Treating the rubber strips with Protect-All Slide-Out Rubber Seal Treatment can help the strip to dlide on top of the slide-out better. Using a treatment on the top of the slide-out's roof (not fiberglass like the main roof) can help also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:54pm
Could the water be coming in from above? I got on a ladder and had a look at the spoiler, and I was amazed at how poorly it was sealed. The plastic was warped between the screws with several gaps present, and to make things worse there was a hole where a screw was probably inserted, stripped and removed. I am amazed that I haven't had water inside and hoping all is well between the roof and ceiling. I used half a tube of Dicor sealing up the spoiler. 
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 6:53pm
I had the spoiler put on in a recall for improper clearance lighting and also found it to be warped with big gaps where it didn't fit tightly against the roof and was filled with silicone caulk that was doomed to leak from the many screw holes.  My solution was to use EternaBond RSW-4-50 Roof Sealant Tape that I got from Amazon.  I put it on the top end of the spoiler where it meets the roof and on the two ends, again, where it meets the roof.  The bottom I left unsealed so if any condensation collected under the spoiler it had a way out.  It made it through a very heavy winter with no signs of leakage.  

The only problem I foresee is that it's going to be a heck of a job to ever take the spoiler off if I need to replace the LED lights since all the upper screws are nicely covered.  Hopefully, in the unlikely event that happens, I can get to the lights from below where there is no tape.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:45pm
Tibof, I totally agree with you.  The seals should last a long time.  Ours are on year 7,  still looking pristine, and no leaks.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:58pm
Will begin by looking at the spoiler tomorrow.  I have Eternabond tape (thanks to a neighbor).  Forest River has minimal faith in its own work when it warranties "seals" for only 90 days.  Short of redoing every bit of caulking on the Pod, for a new owner there is no solution but to wait and see if it leaks!
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:14pm
Ah! Nothing like mysterious leaks, yes? I stepped into my 180 before taking off to the coast last week to find some puddled water on the slide out counter and a bit on the floor nearly under the vent area. Yet a visual check and feeling all around the vent showed no sign or touch of water, hmmmm? Mysterious! Maybe my plan on installing a vent cover may solve this, who knows?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>