R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeak Problem - Event Date: 20 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Leak Problem
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:46pm
Our 2011 Pod is one of the first year the spoiler was installed at the factory.   It is parked outside in our Wisconsin winters and we have had no leak problems with it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:05pm
That's encouraging.  I am glad that you don't have the problem and hope that most others don't either. BTW, have you resealed things, especially the spoiler?  In any case, our Pod has a factory installed spoiler, and I am not impressed.  It corresponds to the warpage that others have described.  This is not warpage of the entire spoiler but "warpage" on the vertical sides where the spoiler pulls away from the roof.  On mine, the gap couldn't be seen until I started to pry up the caulk.  It then became apparent that the caulk only seemed to be in place when actually it was not sticking to the roof.  Removing it showed a large gap above and below the middle screw.  I attempted to add another screw just between the bottom and the mid point screw to pull the spoiler down snug to the roof.  But there is no framing for it to bite into.  
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:17pm
I'm just guessing that some folk's spoiler leaking problem may be due to a couple of different things.

One would be sealing the spoiler all the way around. Seems silly to me to caulk along the bottom of the spoiler. Let it weep and seal the top and sides as best you can.

The other may be mistaking rear window leak or condensation. It's really pretty amazing how much condensation can form on rear window and look like a leak! Again, the rear window caulking should be concentrated on top and sides. Gravity works!

Sometimes, I think we create problems where none existed.

Just my 2 pennies on the subject.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by lostagain

For the recall kit for the older Pods that had the clearance light recall (see the archives for details), they used a very flexible spoiler that seems to be some kind of vinyl plastic... squishy not rigid.  On ours they put in about 30 screws to hold it down onto the roof and it did not sit snugly.  Initially, I put some caulk in the holes where the spoiler lifted up from the roof,  but later took it out and sealed the whole thing up with the roof tape product I mentioned earlier.  So signs of it coming up and it's starting into the second winter.  

As for a different spoiler material on the newer Pods, I haven't a clue as I only saw my neighbor's new Pod for few minutes before he hauled it away for storage and I was admiring other features.  I still don't understand why they didn't put a simple 3 light fixture on the back on the new Pods.  Less leak risk and I really doubt the spoiler does much with wind turbulence behind the trailer.

When I was at the factory to pick up our 179 after repair, I asked about it. I was told that the spoiler definitely makes a difference as the turbulence before spoilers were installed could result in loss of the spare tire cover. I don't have the pre/post spoiler experience to verify this but perhaps someone who has experienced with both configurations can address that.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm
Here's my take on the spoiler,  spoiler is black, that's the worst possible color, baking in 100 plus temps something has to pop. That's why I made my own, no caulking needed, rubber gasket, weeping holes at the bottom and a couple vent on either end.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:32am
Glueguy's post on the Airtabs intrigues me. Anyone here tried these?
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by fwunder

I'm just guessing that some folk's spoiler leaking problem may be due to a couple of different things.

One would be sealing the spoiler all the way around. Seems silly to me to caulk along the bottom of the spoiler. Let it weep and seal the top and sides as best you can.

The other may be mistaking rear window leak or condensation. It's really pretty amazing how much condensation can form on rear window and look like a leak! Again, the rear window caulking should be concentrated on top and sides. Gravity works!

Sometimes, I think we create problems where none existed.

Just my 2 pennies on the subject.

fred

The factory caulks or attempts to caulk the spoiler all the way around.  But when I sealed ours with Eternabond, I applied it only to the top and sides.  As for windows, our leak was definitely not the window, though windows can leak.  The proper set for a window is butyl tape all the way around.  If done correctly, the window should be leak free "forever."  That would be the correct caulk for the spoiler, too, if the spoiler could be uniformly snugged down to the roof.  But it can't be.  
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:50pm
Th a is to this forum I think I saved my rpod. We just washed and waxed our 178 and looked at the back spoiled and there was a gap in the caulking so I ordered the tape that others had talked about on the forum and put it on today. After putting it on I was getting it ready to park for the winter and there was wasted coming out of the back of the camper. I hope it isn't any thing to serious.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:53pm
I this is really bad sleep check. Spoiler and water coming out of the back
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
JillV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 1:15pm
Weve got two Damp Rid desiccants in our 179, both there for several weeks and both BONE DRY, yet water pooled on the kitchen counter behind our stove. Dry in the cupboard below and walls feel dry. Why aren’t the DampRids working? We’ve never had them not work before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>