R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicles, Keep what you have or Upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles, Keep what you have or Upgrade?
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by ParPod

We started out with a 2012 Toyota Rav 4 Sport to pull our 179.  It did alright for local stuff but in addition to other things was the small gas tank.  We got 12 - 15 mpg depending on conditions but the tank always needed re-filling.  I had a sweet deal lined up on a loaded 2013 Ford F150 with an eco-boost engine but we live in a bungalow condo with a small attached garage.  Needed another 18" to be able to fit the truck in.  Being a Toyota family we went to the 4Runner with a 4L V6, full tow package and rated for 5000 lbs. which fits in the garage.  I kept our E2 WD/AS hitch and what a difference between the 2 vehicles.  Gas milage is about the same but the tank is a lot bigger.

I don't see much difference in the 4Runner vs. the Highlander. Both cost about the same and capacity is equal. Only difference I see so far is the 4Runner comes ready to tow, Highlander it's a additional package.

Curious why the choice of the 4Runner over the Highlander?
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Leo B

We had the same issue with our Caravan it had a 20 gall tank, I really didn't like travelling with it much below half a tank so we were stopping all the time. Was hoping for a bigger tank with our F-150, but it has a 23 gallon tank oh well. Will still have plenty of stops to get out and stretch!

The F-150, V6 or V8? Eco or not?

I like the V6 Eco, but that whole turbo-charger thing hits me as equal when it comes to MPG to a straight V8.
A friend has one, gets great mpg, but he doesn't tow...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by shroomer

We had our R-pod for 4 years and towed it with a V6 std. shift Chevy pickup. It got 12 mpg and handled the R-pod pretty well but lacked all creature comforts. Most trips were within 150 miles of home. One reason we picked the R-pod was because our tow vehicle could handle it (3,800 capacity due to std. trans).

This past year we decided to upgrade our camper and in so doing had to upgrade our truck. Once you get any larger than an R-pod you pretty much go to two axles and a loaded trailer of 5,000 or 6,000 pounds. If you think you may want to upgrade in the future, then consider a 1/2 ton pickup and a V8. You'll need the extra carrying capacity since you'll be putting 800 - 900 lbs of tongue weight (or more) on your vehicle.

This I totally agree with! Always think ahead! Never know where life will bring you.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:34am
Great info Folks! Please keep it coming!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:38am
F-150 5,0 v-8 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:39pm
I also have a 4L 6cyl Frontier. I dont climb any huge mountains, but i do travel the western mass, Upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire area, which is a little mountainous, and I can make the continuous climbs fairly easily. I can gain speed as i climb if i want, or i can just stay fairly steady. I have never gone above 4000 R.P.M. and rarely ever reach that. when i climb the passes in these areas i find that about 3200 R.P.M. gets me thru anything. Obviously on the mostly flat lands i travel near the beaches and coastline are super easy to travel. If i drove in mountains everyday, I probably would want my NEXT vehicle to do a little better, but i'm totally happy with my T.V.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Joe-n-Terri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:32pm
Late addition to this thread, actually haven't been on forum much since the FB group got going, thought everyone had moved. Anyways we decided on a 2014 Town and Country with factory tow package and 2015 179. Like the others it did ok for local (Florida), stuff and I would get between 12 and 15 mpg towing and 29 highway not towing. Took a trip out west, not camping and while driving my sister Arcadia through the mountains around Phoenix I thought no way will I be comfortable out here in the T&C. A few months later we run across a good deal on a 15 Ram Crewcab Eco diesel so we upgraded. We just got back from a 2000 mile round trip from Florida to Tennessee to Michigan and back and I averaged 15.5 pulling the 179 and I get 30 highway not towing with all the torque in the world. Now that we have extra towing capabilities we're thinking of upgrading the camper as well. 
Joe & Terri
2015 179
2015 Ram 1500 crew cab/ eco diesel
2005 Ram 1500/ Tekonsha Controller
Lovestarved Pom/Demanding Chihuahua
LvyaRain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 3:11pm
Has anyone tried a 2017 or 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD with a 179 Rpod?
3.5 liter direct-injected SOHC-VTEC V6 engine
280 horsepower and 262 lb-ft of torque.
It's rated to tow 5000 pounds.

Tow Vehicle Roundup had a good review, but r-pod owners forum are the REAL "testers!"

Do any of ya'll have a Ridgeline? 
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Honda Ridgeline AWD
Future: RainPod 179 or 182G
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:28am
Search the forum for Ridgeline and you'll find several entries and I think most are happy with it's performance. Just don't expect high performance. We tow our 179 with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe with 290HP and a 5000lb tow rating. It does very well, I can maintain 60-65 uphill and it feels very stable with the Equalizer hitch. We have a situation that limits us to an SUV otherwise I would have a 1/2 ton pickup at minimum. I've only been on 100 mile or less trips but am confident I could travel with my setup, I think it would be meager in the mountains. Don't believe the faction that says the truck is the only way but they have a point, a truck is a better option if possible. I've only checked the mileage once and got 13-14mpg.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
RichF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by LvyaRain

Has anyone tried a 2017 or 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD with a 179 Rpod?
3.5 liter direct-injected SOHC-VTEC V6 engine
280 horsepower and 262 lb-ft of torque.
It's rated to tow 5000 pounds.

Tow Vehicle Roundup had a good review, but r-pod owners forum are the REAL "testers!"

Do any of ya'll have a Ridgeline? 

I have a 2017 Ridgeline RLT-T AWD. I just purchased a 190 last week and only have about 75 towing miles with the RL.  I towed mostly on flat land and some hills and got 16.5 mpg on the mpg gauge.  I don’t have a lot of experience towing but the RL accelerated and stopped well. On some hills it did drop down a gear. I really like the RL it has the benefits of a truck and rides like a Cadillac. Honda does not recommend a WDH and I have not installed one.  I have a 2” drop ball mount and Pod and RL line up well the tongue weight  does not drop the RL rear much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>