R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicles, Keep what you have or Upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles, Keep what you have or Upgrade?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:11pm
A subject that is beat to death on several forums, yet still of importance.

I still have a few years of life in my F-150 and she'll be my TV for a few. Since I'm on the edge of retirement and we will buy one more before, it's time to move research into possible TV's.

Do I wish to step down to one of the SUV Class with a V6 or stay with a full size V8 Pickup?
From a gas mileage stand point, I'm seeing, with towing, a full size V8 will actually do better. Yet when unhooked and exploring, the V6 will do better.

So the question becomes: 
What are you currenting towing with?
What kind of mileage you getting when towing?
Have a anti-sway bar?
How you doing on hills?

And of course: Would you stay with it or upgrade to something bigger?

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm
I'll share a little personal history that will perhaps provide some helpful information.

We started out intending to purchase a Casita. I had found a Craigslist post and thought I had arranged to purchase with escrow. Turns out, it was a pure scam that set me back $2K. In view of that purchase, we traded our 2009 Ford Escape which was inadequate to a 2016 Ford Escape SE with 2L Ecoboost engine which had the factory tow package rated at 3500 lbs. I did not want to give up on the idea of a camping trailer. My search led to the Forest River R-Pod 179 which we purchased from a dealer (no more Craigslist for me!).

The 2L Ecoboost engine in the Escape was pretty good on the highway but average in town. For towing, Ford recommended use of premium gasoline. Premium is much more expensive than Diesel in every place we have traveled. While I can use regular when not towing, our trips were much more expensive with premium gas.

Last December, we had an accident when we hit ice with a strong cross-wind in Wyoming. Because the Escape was going to be out of commission for longer than we could wait, we purchased a used Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab with a 4L naturally aspirated engine. It also has the factory tow package. An advantage is that premium gasoline is not required. The down side is that at any significant altitude, the Frontier has less power and torque, with a loss of 4% per 1000 ft. The Escape did not have that power loss.

Mileage in both vehicles is around thae average I have seen other people post which is about 12 mpg. In the Escape, I could get a little better, around 14 or 15 once I learned how to deal with hills. The Frontier does not have as many gears as the Escape had. I learned that if I keep the RPMs lower than 3000 RPM, my mileage was much better. That means no cruise control, especially onuphill stretches.

Don't expect to be the first one up the hill. Become comfortable with the right lane. Limit top speed to 60 mph--all these will help you get better mileage.

A turbo diesel is probably the best for towing, and will give good performance when not towing. A turbocharged V6 will likely outperform a naturally aspirated V8 in most cases, especially when at higher elevations. If Nissan were to release a Diesel Frontier, I would definitely be looking hard at it. Ford is supposed to have a Diesel F-150 next spring. If so, that would be a good choice. I understand that Fiat/Chrysler has some emissions problems with their diesel, so the diesel Grand Cherokee is not currently available. I'm not sure about the diesel Chevy Colorado.

If not the diesel, then a Ford F150 with Ecoboost engine would be a good choice for towing an R-Pod. I have grown to like the Frontier because the pickup bed has been very useful. Before, I did not have a good place to carry spare propane or gasoline for the generator. Now, I can put things like that in the pickup bed. That is something that can't be done with an SUV.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:22pm
Agree with you on what I'm reading and learning. Especially on RPM. What I have also heard is that means no only being first but reaching down to 1st or 2nd gear to get over over the biggies.

Thank you for your honesty of a report.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:32pm
We towed our 179 with our Dodge Grand Caravan for many years, it handled good, ranged from 12.5 -16.5 depending on wind. We really liked it and still have it,BUT this year we purchased a 2017 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 engine and really like it, tows the camper with ease, taking it on our first trip with it to North Carolina next week. Will report back on mileage etc.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:50pm
Think your going to forget it's there! LOL!

Have to say that mileage is big! Have to think not many hills in the way to get that mileage.

Will love to hear the report! From what I'm reading shouldn't change much. 
Larger engine means less stress. Very curious how it works out.

Thank you for the report.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:30am

I have been retired since January of 2014. Below, you can see what I purchased about 6 months prior. No regrets. It does anything I ask of it.

Expect about 10-12 mpg when towing, regardless of vehicle. The bigger engine does not have to work as hard to do the job. I don't plan to replace vehicles frequently so, having something that would do the task easily is/was important.

Personally, my experience with V6 engines is that they don't get THAT much better mileage than a V8. I'd rather pay a few extra pennies at the pump and have a capable vehicle.

Here is my real life mpgs (all are + or - a little):
City = 16
Highway = 20-21
Towing = 10-12

Yes, I do use an E2 w/d, anti-sway hitch.

IMHO, if you are a Ford guy, (if it were me) I'd go with the F-150 with the 5.0. By all accounts, it seems to be a "darling" among the blue oval fans.

shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 8:08pm
We had our R-pod for 4 years and towed it with a V6 std. shift Chevy pickup. It got 12 mpg and handled the R-pod pretty well but lacked all creature comforts. Most trips were within 150 miles of home. One reason we picked the R-pod was because our tow vehicle could handle it (3,800 capacity due to std. trans).

This past year we decided to upgrade our camper and in so doing had to upgrade our truck. Once you get any larger than an R-pod you pretty much go to two axles and a loaded trailer of 5,000 or 6,000 pounds. If you think you may want to upgrade in the future, then consider a 1/2 ton pickup and a V8. You'll need the extra carrying capacity since you'll be putting 800 - 900 lbs of tongue weight (or more) on your vehicle.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:49pm
We have a 173 model annd have towed it for 6 years with 2 very different vehicles. We started with a Chevy Astro van, 6 cyl with tow package. We towed from Florida to Michigan  several times. It was adequate, but we aways felt like we were on the edge. We were waiting for something to break.Finally, the transmission gave out.
We bought a Ford Expedition EL and love it. Plenty of power, plenty of brakes, transmission and suspension. We got approximately the same gas milage (10-12)with both vehicles. The comfort and safety factor is worth a lot. Both vehicles used the same Equalizer 4 point wd/anti sway system. Our pod weighed 3350 when we left on our current trip.the Expedition has the same features as the f150 .
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
We started out with a 2012 Toyota Rav 4 Sport to pull our 179.  It did alright for local stuff but in addition to other things was the small gas tank.  We got 12 - 15 mpg depending on conditions but the tank always needed re-filling.  I had a sweet deal lined up on a loaded 2013 Ford F150 with an eco-boost engine but we live in a bungalow condo with a small attached garage.  Needed another 18" to be able to fit the truck in.  Being a Toyota family we went to the 4Runner with a 4L V6, full tow package and rated for 5000 lbs. which fits in the garage.  I kept our E2 WD/AS hitch and what a difference between the 2 vehicles.  Gas milage is about the same but the tank is a lot bigger.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 9:41am
We had the same issue with our Caravan it had a 20 gall tank, I really didn't like travelling with it much below half a tank so we were stopping all the time. Was hoping for a bigger tank with our F-150, but it has a 23 gallon tank oh well. Will still have plenty of stops to get out and stretch!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>