R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich generator is best for?? - Event Date: 18 Sep 2017 - 30 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Which generator is best for??
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:25pm
I have an R-Pod loaded with an Atwood 13.5K AC unit...looking to buy a portable generator for dry camping needs...any ideas on the best brand and size necessary?

Thanks!!!!
Vdog
Vdog
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:19pm
I have a Generac iX2000. It will run the AC, but nothing else while doing so. You would be best served by a generator rated at 3000 watts. That will run the AC without problems and probably run the microwave also at the same time.

The biggest problem is the startup surge. You need a reserve capacity to handle the startup surge. Once it is running, the running wattage can be handled by a lower power, so an inverter generator with an eco mode that cuts the engine speed to save fuel is best. Plus the inverter generators are quieter than the old style generators.

I don't know how good they are but the initial reviews are positive about the Harbor Freight 3500 watt inverter generator. It would be adequate, and the price is pretty good. If I did not already have my iX2000, I would very strongly consider purchasing this one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:35am
We use dual Honda EU2000i generators in parallel, one of them a Companion model with a 30A outlet. We have an external 6-gallon tank, which will last a few days.

One advantage to going with two 2000W generators vs. one 3000W+ generator is weight: my wife can move the Hondas by herself, but she couldn't move even the Ryobi 2200 generators we used to have.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:57pm
The downside to a single 3500 watt generator is weight.
The downside to dual generators in parallel is cost. A single Honda EU2000I costs significantly more than the Predator 3500. Amazon has the EU2000i for $999 plus free shipping. The companion is $1099 plus free shipping. The parallel cables are $49.00 for a total of $2147 plus whatever sales or use tax your state requires. The Predator sells for $699.99 plus tax in stores. It will be available online in November so shipping is unknown. Still, the $1447.01 difference makes finding a way to deal with the additional weight less of a problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
vdog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 5:34pm
Hey - great info and appreciate the link...that combined with some of my research has helped tremendously!  Thanks!!!
Vdog
Vdog
ricon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
Get the Champion 3100/2800w generator. Cheap 3 years warranty and it runs ac even in Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply