R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter questions
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm
Furpod,  i sent you another pm
Joe
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:12pm
Replied...
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:48pm
After three weeks at the repair shop, all repairs were made.  They had to replace the converter.  Good news Forest River did cover the cost so there was no charge.  Yippee!  Now I can get warranty work done locally and do not have to travel back to dealer.  I am going to use them to store the RPOD over the winter so I do not have to take up needed space in my daughters small driveway
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm
Okay here is my question.... should your converter fail then how do you connect a battery charger to the failed converter to salvage your trip? Explanation? Pictures? It seems I'm missing something in this puzzle so maybe someone can help me and others like me out just in case they experience a converter failure.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Okay here is my question.... should your converter fail then how do you connect a battery charger to the failed converter to salvage your trip? Explanation? Pictures? It seems I'm missing something in this puzzle so maybe someone can help me and others like me out just in case they experience a converter failure.
You don't need to connect anything to the converter. Just attach the charger to the battery, and you should be good. Turn off or disconnect the converter.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:02pm
I had a converter go out due to a lightning strike at a campground in Arkansas,Devil's den. It was three days into a four week trip. I bought a small charger and was able to charge the batteries while when we had shore power,with my generator and while driving.I just hooked it up to one battery and then the other the next night and never had a real power issue the rest of the trip. I now carry a charger in the tounge box just in case. The only question I have is whether I could just hook it to one battery and does it help if I move it back and forth?
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by voisj

I had a converter go out due to a lightning strike at a campground in Arkansas,Devil's den. It was three days into a four week trip. I bought a small charger and was able to charge the batteries while when we had shore power,with my generator and while driving.I just hooked it up to one battery and then the other the next night and never had a real power issue the rest of the trip. I now carry a charger in the tounge box just in case. The only question I have is whether I could just hook it to one battery and does it help if I move it back and forth?
If both batteries are 12V (six cell caps per battery) and wired in parallel, connect the charger to either battery and it will charge both.  

Paul
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

You don't need to connect anything to the converter. Just attach the charger to the battery, and you should be good. Turn off or disconnect the converter.

After reading your response GlueGuy I just had to smack my forehead and say dahhhh ..... the answer to my question is so obvious! LOL
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Originally posted by GlueGuy

After reading your response GlueGuy I just had to smack my forehead and say dahhhh ..... the answer to my question is so obvious! LOL
People sometimes ask why my shoulders are hunched & why I have a flat forehead. It's because every time I'm asked a question, I hunch my shoulders and say "I don't know.". When they tell me the answer, I smack myself on the forehead and exclaim "I shoulda known!". LOL
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:15pm
When using 2 12v batteries wired in parallel, I like to hook the charger up to the positive on one battery and the negative on the other
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>