R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter questions
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:15am
2017 Rpod 180
I believe my converter failed in the U.P. last week.Second failure this year.     Made it thru trip using a battery charger.  At home now, I have taken the front off the electrical panel, and I have removed the 2 screws holding the converter in, and I have loosened the small circuit board on the left because the 110 v supply wires are routed behind the circuit board.  I am going to connect shore power tomorrow night and use my dvm to make sure 110 v power is coming into converter,  pretty sure it is.   Converter is WFCO 8955. 55 amp.
I have read and searched everything I can on converter.   Going to bite the bullet and go with Progressive Dynamics, as suggested on this forum by various members.  As far as I can tell the correct number would be PD 4655 v.
Can anyone confirm  that this is a direct replacement, except for drilling the one hole ?  Also, where would you recommend I buy one ?
I am not a real talented mechanic, but this looks like an easy swap out to me.
thank you, in advance, for any help and suggestions you can throw. my way.
Joe
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:17pm
Not warrantied??
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
Yes sir...under warranty.  However, dealer is 2 hours away, so to drop it off and pick it up amounts to about 8 hours of driving.  And that's okay, I suppose, but when they installed the second one in march, they did a lot of damage.  For instance, they pulled about 5 wires from the circuit board connection, damaged the flooring, made a huge mess tracking in mud, etc.  I would rather pay the money and do it myself than to go through all of that again. I will send the old one in for warranty replacement, and hang on to it for a spare.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
I TOTALLY understand. I'm the same about stuff like that. Just wondering in case that happens to me. I purchased mine from Couch's RV Nation....an 8 hour drive one way from my house!
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:05pm
Mark
I think the thing I learned is that if your converter goes out, you can keep camping by using a battery charger as your converter, if you have 110 v hookup.  This saved our vacation to the U.P.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm
Exact Replacement.

Don't consider it a nonwarrantywarrenteedrepair.. consider it it mod or upgrade for ownership peace of mind. I did.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:57pm
Furpod
I sent you a PM
Joe
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:12pm
Yup.  Same thing happened to us while on a trip.  Went to Sears bought a charger and trip was saved. We found an RV rental place 45 minutes from us that is an authorized Forest River warranty repair agent.  And since they do not sell RV's they actually want your repair business.  So we dropped off the RV this morning. Now I do not have to drive 2 1/2 hours back to the dealer (keeping my fingers crossed I get good service).  If we had not found this repair shop we would have attempted to make the repairs ourselves.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:23pm
Rich and Cindy,
I sure hope your service center does a good job for you.  I am trying to learn to do more on my trailer, preventive maintenance wise and repair wise.  It usually goes pretty good for me as long as I do not get in a hurry.  Let me know how you come out.  I will keep my fingers crossed.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
My converter failed on our last trip. I ordered a WFCO replacement from Amazon and installed it myself. When we got home, I contacted WFCO and got the authorization to send the defective one to them. I received a replacement which is now being kept as a spare. I also had bought a charger to tide us over. The problem is that it wanted to consider the dual 6V batteries as defective since the charger was really not meant for 215 AH batteries. The converter has no problem with them.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>