Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convection Oven - Popovers
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:16pm
POPOVERS

It is perfect for the flexible silicone bakery-sized muffin pan. The pan never needs greasing and they pop right out of the pan after baking. Enjoy for a small holiday dinner party or special meal. Since the "silicone" material does not require greasing, there is no problem with the popovers sticking in the pan. And, there is adequate space with this pan for good popping during baking. With the GE microwave-convection oven, they cook best on a low rack placed on the turntable so they can rotate during cooking. Otherwise, some will not pop. Trim the corners of the silicone pan, to easily rotate on the rack.

POPOVERS

1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1. MICROWAVE (100%) butter in 4-cup glass measure 30 to 40 seconds or until melted. Preheat microwave-convection oven to 400º.

2. Measure milk into measuring cup. Add eggs; beat well with rotary beater or wire whisk. Add flour and salt. Beat with beater or whisk just until about smooth (do not overbeat or popovers will not pop). Pour batter into "silicone" muffin pan (with 6 muffin cups) set on low rack.

3.Convection-only bake on low rack at 400º for 30 to 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve piping hot.

6 Popovers

TIPS With regular oven, bake as directed for 35 to 40 minutes.
Prepare batter ahead, but wait to bake so that popovers will be fresh from oven at serving time.
If not using the "silicone" muffin pan be sure to grease cups well.

Pie_Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:31am
Great!!  Thanks for all the recipes.

I am new to the whole convection oven thing.  I have a question and since you posted about the silicone muffin pans, my question is this:

I want to get some basic baking pans that I can use for BOTH the microwave AND the Oven.  So, I was thinking glass but could the silicone materials work for both?  WHat is the best option?  As a general rule, at home, I have a Jenn Air Grill/Stove combo so we basically grill almost every night.  I use the oven but usually not for cooking meals. 

So, back to my question.  I am looking for a "set" of pans for the microwave...I want to be able to cook a pizza/cookies/muffins/bread etc as well as an occasional meal if the weather is really bad and I don't want to cook outside...

Does anyone have suggestions or better yet, a LINK to something I can just buy?

~Cindy_CP
(Pod_Patrol's girl)
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:52am
Silicone can go in a regular oven as well as a conventional one.  Also the glass like Pyrex or Corning.  Silicone weighs a lot less of course and is easier to store.  I have had to spray my silicone with oil sometimes to prevent sticking.  As far as I know there is no silicone pizza pan. There are muffin pans and all purpose pans.   I cooked our pzza right on the glass microwave plate.  Worked fine.  When it was done we just slid it out onto the cardboard that comes with a frozen pizza!  It was perfect, the crust slightly crisp the way we like it.  
four peas
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:53am
Oops I meant to say that silicone and glass dishes go in both CONVECTION and MICROWAVE ovens.
Embarrassed
four peas
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:20pm
I thought they pulled the silicone cooking utensils off the market because there  was issues with them. I just cannot remember where i saw it, or what it was.  Janet Sadlack of  www.microwaveconnect.com is a firm beleiver in using silicone.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:25pm
No.  No recent problems with silicone.  There was melamine in food from China, but thats about it.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:26pm

Silicone sure beats worrying about breakage.

Post Reply Post Reply